the best polish...........????????

stuey

wot is the best polish and wot do we think of the paint protection systems that dealerships provide....... and can we achive the same results wiv out payiny them £300 for the privalidge...i have a leaflet here that sez paint protection for 6 yrs guaranteed.....!! we must be able to do this ourselves..... :wacko:

If you read through the setailing section of the site, most of your answers should be answered.

Nissan uses Supaguard - which even some of the dealers don't rate as any good!. It's way overpriced.

The various polish/treatment systems will give your paint some protection (I use Zaino), but nothing apart from a physical barrier will stop stone chipping - do a search here for 'Paint Shield'

wot is the best polish and wot do we think of the paint protection systems that dealerships provide....... and can we achive the same results wiv out payiny them £300 for the privalidge...i have a leaflet here that sez paint protection for 6 yrs guaranteed.....!! we must be able to do this ourselves..... :wacko:

How olds you car? If its fairly new then personally I wouldnt bother polishing it for a while... or at the most use an extremely fine polish. So far i have only used a very fine cleaner/polish on mine but I have also bought a very fine finishing polish...

Instead use a wax. I have tried the Meguirs NXT wax and found that the finish looks very smeared. dont know if its me coz Val swears by it.... guess he must have plenty of practice ;) .

I have just bought some P21s, only used it on the bonnet and it seems very good... better than meguirs, but it should be at $32.

Chris demonstrated the Meguirs quick detailing wax at the JAE.. seemed pretty good and extremely fast to apply.

I am going to be using Meguirs 1st then finishing off with the P21s...

I had supaguard on my previous car and my dad had it on this current. It was ok for a while, but wasnt impressed.

$32 for P21s - you can get it shipped in the Uk for <£20.

Definatly agree about polishing. Remember the basics

Polishes cut away at the paint - some a little, some alot

Waxes just layer on protection.

If its new paint then you should be fine with just a clean, clay bar and then a wax. Its only worth polishing if you are starting to get lots of scratches, swirls etc.

Its a shame the paint on the Zs are so thin as it means that you can't really give the car a good polish too many times otherwise you might end up removing all the paint.

$32 for P21s - you can get it shipped in the Uk for <£20.

Definatly agree about polishing. Remember the basics

Polishes cut away at the paint - some a little, some alot

Waxes just layer on protection.

If its new paint then you should be fine with just a clean, clay bar and then a wax. Its only worth polishing if you are starting to get lots of scratches, swirls etc.

Its a shame the paint on the Zs are so thin as it means that you can't really give the car a good polish too many times otherwise you might end up removing all the paint.

where can you get p21s for that price? I was ordering other stuff as well, so postage wasnt an issue, but would be nice to know for future.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought P21 delivered to the door for about £25 or £26. Have used it twice on the car already and once I worked out how to use it it is really quite easy to put on.

The effects were Ok the first time and better the second. This is on an already VERY clean car.

I am sure with another three or four coats the reslutls will be outstanding.

I agree though to avoid too much polish on decent paintwork.

I now wash, dry WAX. :thumbs:

Ming the Obsessed

I got talked into Supagard but wouldn't do it again. Its a fantastically high margin item for dealers. I was expecting to be able to get water to sheet off the surface and so make drying much easier. It didn't do this.

Meanwhile my son just uses a variety of really high quality waxes on his car and has far superior results so IMO that's the way to do it as others have said in this thread.

Doesn't a clay bar have an abrasive effect? Is it less than a polish?

I got talked into Supagard but wouldn't do it again. Its a fantastically high margin item for dealers. I was expecting to be able to get water to sheet off the surface and so make drying much easier. It didn't do this.

Meanwhile my son just uses a variety of really high quality waxes on his car and has far superior results so IMO that's the way to do it as others have said in this thread.

Doesn't a clay bar have an abrasive effect? Is it less than a polish?

What does your son use???

Clay bar removes any entrapped dirt that washing doesn't!!!! What's the quote.............

"will make your car feel as smooth as glass" ;)

claybar doesn't have any "abrasive " effect as such. It does cleanse the surface off any dirt that is even invisible to the eye but that you can feel if you pass the palm of your hand on the car, after washed.

You can wash the socks off your car but the first time you clay bar it you will be stunned by the amount of dirt that comes off. The bar goes brown several times during the process and it is all contaminants from the paint on your car.

THEN YOU WAX

Ming the Shiney Man

claybar doesn't have any "abrasive " effect as such. It does cleanse the surface off any dirt that is even invisible to the eye but that you can feel if you pass the palm of your hand on the car, after washed.

You can wash the socks off your car but the first time you clay bar it you will be stunned by the amount of dirt that comes off. The bar goes brown several times during the process and it is all contaminants from the paint on your car.

THEN YOU WAX

Ming the Shiney Man

Ming I believe your services are req'd on other threads you cleaning maniac :blush:

THEN YOU WAX

Ming the Shiney Man

Ming I believe your services are req'd on other threads you cleaning maniac :blush:

Mrs Ming called one of my previous cars the Mistress because I spent more time money and effort on the car than I did on her.

I offered to let her stand, stark naked of course, on the drive on Sunday morning whilst I washed, clay barred, scrubbed, polished and then waxed her.

She turned me down.

can't think why.

Ming the Obsessive

THEN YOU WAX

Ming the Shiney Man

Mrs Ming called one of my previous cars the Mistress because I spent more time money and effort on the car than I did on her.

I offered to let her stand, stark naked of course, on the drive on Sunday morning whilst I washed, clay barred, scrubbed, polished and then waxed her.

She turned me down.

can't think why.

Ming the Obsessive

LMAO :lol:

• 2 months later...

At the risk of being abused due to its large following on this forum I have to say that I am not very impressed by NXT wax. Tried it a few times and just found it hard to remove with a not excellent finish.

Recently been using Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by Extra Gloss Protection (as recommended by the missus who had a Golf show car for a few years) and it is fantastic. Goes on & buffs off easily & the shine is the best I have got on my motor.

No pics at the moment cos I cant be arsed but will be sticking with Autoglym for the time being.

Cheers.