Exedy clutch and fidanza flywheel

350zStephen

I went to view a 53 plate GT yesterday. The clutch had been replaced only a few thousand miles ago with an exedy clutch and a fidanza flywheel.

Car pulled nicely through the gears, however 5th gear was a major struggle. Almost to the extent you had to force the car into gear.

I was told this is common, is this the case?

Cheers

Doesnt sound common, but there could well be a very easy solution. When the clutch is changed the gearbox is dropped out, and this means loosening/removing the gear selector gate. This means that when its refitted the selector gate doesnt quite line up properly, and can make hitting 5th/6th a little troublesome. If you are sat with the engine off, try putting the stick all the way to the right as if to go into 5th or 6th and slide it backwards and forwards. If it gets stuck before getting into gear, this will be your problem. Its easily fixed by Nissan or yourself if you are handy with spanners, I can dig out the link if needed. Its a few bolts to loosen/remove and just lining up the selector plate and then tightening everything back up.

If this is not the case, then its most likely the syncromesh is gone. This too is common but with the car being out of warentee, could be expensive to fix, some reporting it to be cheaper to buy a second hand box.

I hope in this case its the former "gate" issue :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Was it yourself ZMANALEX that did Martin's box? If so, Martin said many good things about you :p

Would you be able to sort it out mate?

Cheers.

Stephen

Twas me Stephen.

Providing Martin has not wrecked the gearbox in the past 2 months :lol: then a small adjustment to the gearshift gate is all that will be required and I would be happy to do this for you.

Alex.

i honestly believe this struggle to get the car into 5th or 6th gear ( which i dont think you tried 6th? ) is perhaps just down to you just being a little too timid with the car :)

i have used the car today and last night and it has slipped into 5th no worries at all. even my girlfriend has driven the car and she has never had an issue with it, nor has she ever complained about it

Alex, i will phone you tomorrow morning, as im up your way tomorrow afternoon and if possible, id happily drop in and let you take the car up and down the road to feel 5th and 6th for yourself.

theres certainly no chance the drivetrain has been damaged in the last 2 months :teeth: what kind of driver do you take me for :boxing: heheh. i dont know if anyone else drives their 350 softer than me lol

If it is just the gate missalignment, then it will go into gear quite easily if you get your aim right. I didnt notice mine was out at first as through muscle memory I was getting it in the right place. It was only later I noticed going back down the gears (6th -> 5th) that I noticed it didnt always slip in easily. Later realised it was because the gate wasnt lined up. As Alex has said, easy enough job, so if that is the problem, just get his to adjust it. :)

I brought the Exedy clutch and Fidanza flywheel kit from Alex, and had it fitted yesterday by a local garage. They rang Alex for advice when fitting it, and couldn't praise him highly enough regarding his knowledge of correct fitment, etc.

I took it out yesterday afternoon, and the difference was frightening!!! I would highly recommend the upgrade, and thanks again Alex for all your help along the way with this (top guy)!

Clark

i need some help, took my car for a drive earlyer thinking about what was said on here and im 100% that my 'gates' arnt aligned properly

im pretty handy with the spanners, any help would be much appreciated

Take a look at this guide, the latter steps should help you out ;)

http://www.350zclub.org/BM-shifter.shtml