Wheel measurements...??

Muttley

Hi guys,

Im sure this has been covered before but as ever i searched through 5 pages of topics and got bored of searching so thought id stick my neck out and ask, at the risk of sounding a complete idiot.

I dont really knoe to much about wheel measurements, only the obvious diameter 18",19",20" etc.

Anyway, i am searching for some new alloys to replace my standards and wanted a set i could fit with no modifications being made to the car (lazy i know!!). Is there a set size i should be looking for? or are there loads of measurements thatl fit? Oh and im looking at getting 19" alloys with i deep(ish) dish.

I havn't got the money yet so am only searching for a future purchase, but wont be able to spend too much unfortunately.

Thaanks guys

Muttley

Thanks Sarnie, cheers for the info :thumbs:

"How long is a piece of string?"

Had a horrid feeling that was going to be the answer :bang: . Thanks for the usual specs though, thats what im after really so i can just slap them on straight away with no hassles :clap:

Out of interest (as explained in initial post, im not clued up with the rim measurements) what does the 8.5j and 9.5j represent? I assume that the offset is how far the rim sits from.....sumthing...brakes??

Sorry for the silly questions, gotta start somewhere.

Cheers again

Muttley

Cheers guys. I'll keep looking and see what i can find and as Chris mentioned i'll prob refer to the traders for the go ahead with te one's i decide on.

MadMarky - Amazing looking wheels, pretty much what exactly what im after, great price and delivery service too!!!, unfortunately i have no money at present and this is an enquiry for a future purchase. Thank You for the offer though.

Muttley

The diagram Bullet Magnet posted is useful, however negative offset does not always dictate the amount of dish/concavity [is that a word?] a wheel will have. You can have a low offset wheel with little or no dish simply by there being alot of material on the back of the wheels [where it bolts to the hub]. This is referred to as the 'disc type' on most 2/3 piece wheels.

As a quick guide - 17/18/19" is the diameter.

8.5J 9.5J is the width of the wheel, as measured from INSIDE the bead seats. A 9.5J wheel will actually measure 10.5" across from face to face - this is where confusion/misselling often occurs when people measure wheels rather than reading the labels/stamps on them. The 'J' refers to the shape of the bead seat - some wheels will be 'J', others 'JJ'.

The offset is presented in either a positive [+] or negative [-] number. That being, the number of mm the back face of the wheel [where it touches the hub] is from the CENTRELINE of the wheel. If the back face is exactly in the middle of the wheel it would be ET +0 [Zero offset is still presented as a positive number]. If the back face is 5mm back from the centre it would be ET -5, 5mm forward of the centre would be ET +5. When choosing offset you need to take into account wheel width and work out what will fit. Remember if you add 1" to a wheel width it doesn't all go on one side - the easy way to work it out of 0.5" each side [12.5mm].

You also need to think about how aggressive you want your fitment to be. Usually OEM fitments are VERY conservative so don't be afraid to stray too far from them - good fitment can make or break a car.

Thats the basics, without going into tyre-stretching etc. But I won't go there because it got me in trouble before :D:byebye:

Thats the basics, without going into tyre-stretching etc. But I won't go there because it got me in trouble before :D:byebye:

Lol, I remember, haha

But yeah, about the offsets, even tho I have a decent dish on my Volks, they are still positive offset, +28 on the front and +23 on the rear.

It's all down to the overall width of the wheel like Jord said.

Always a good time to whore pics to help illustrate a point :lol:

frontwheel.jpg

volks003.jpg

Hi again guy's.

Found some 5 spoke BK Racing alloys i like the look of, was wondering if any1 could let me know if they would fit or not?? (Got a feeling the fronts wont fit over my Brembo's).

Fronts - 18 x 8 ET30

Rears - 18 x 9.5 ET42

still not sure if i can splash the cash yet but am still keeping a keen eye out for alloys.

Cheers

Muttley