Flywheel?

MattMe

So because I'm forced into fitting a new gearbox, which I really cannot afford I thought I'd better fit a clutch because sods law will be 2 days after fitting the 'box my clutch will go. It's done 50k now.

So there goes another £300! The other thing I've noticed a lot of talk of changing the flywheel at the same time. Is this really neccessary and how can I know ifI hsould or shouldn't bother to change it at the same time?

On top of all that I noticed my traction control light coming on more often in the dry so checked out my rear tyres :blush: they're pretty much bald... I'm so broke right now youwouldn't believe and it looks like I've got £1k worth of maintenance to spend now! Not particularly happy about that!

Not trying to sound negative but would it be possible to not use your zed until you get some cash?

I would do them both whilst your at it - at least you know its done and you no longer have to worry about it. The tyres as well (very important) and could mean life or death in worst case scenario, especially since winter is nearing (you don't want a stupid 2 second rear end slide into something - thats going to be bad and nothing good will come of ignoring tyres).

We all go through bad patches mate. I remember not being able to drive my previous car at all for about a month because I didn't have a job at the time. I'm glad I didn't and ended up walking into town and yes - even catching buses. You suddenly realise how much cash you can save (albeit its pretty painful when you know you've done nothing wrong - but thats life).

Things will turn around - its only a matter of time (or you get paid again). :)

Sorry you have some expensive bills heading your way! Fueling the Z is enough!!

Has it ever been replaced? Most advise that the DMF be changed with every other clutch.

Prehaps, 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. If it is a stock item somewhere, prehaps you could buy it and if it was not needed coz it springs back then you could return it? :shrug:

TBH I would bite the bullet while you are there. It would be sods law you replace not only the gearbox and clutch, then the flywheel would go, and you end up paying for the labour all over again to get it done! I would stick it on a credit card or something just to save another few hundred quid in labour.

If you fancy a trip to Leicester to get it done, I can fully recommend Mitz and Andy of CS. They did my clutch and flywheel and were spot on and far cheaper than Nissan - about a third of the labour cost in the end :thumbs:

If going for a fly, why not spend the same money (or less) and get a solid fly. That way you at least get a bonus of a more responsive car for your money :)

Apologies if this is a dumb question but what do you mean by a solid fly wheel? :doh:

I know the Zed has a Dual Mass Fly Wheel as standard ...

It's not a dumb question, it's only dumb if you ask twice :p

The Z has a dual mass flywheel. A solid flywheel is simply that, a replacement flywheel that doesn't have the dual mass malarky. It's a simple, old-fashioned flywheel. The advantage is it is cheaper to replace and doesn't wear out, but if you get a lightened one (which is the point really) you get better throttle response and better engine braking.

Downsides? Um. Well supposedly it isn't as smooth but I can't say I can tell the difference there. They do make a little noise when under load at low revs, but kind of like a mechanical grumble/chuckle, nothing loud. They are perfectly civilised for day to day driving and motorway cruising.

Zmanalex has the best deals :)