How long for a wheel refurb?

Woody

I'm tempted to get my rays refurbished and powder coated. How long will this roughly take? As the Zed is my only car and I dont want to be without it too long. I've heard that a company called Romax will do it for 30 notes a wheel.

Has anyone got any pics of a sunset on powder coated rays, to try and help make my mind up.

Cheers Woody :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies. Was reading through another thread earlier and came across problems with wheels cracking when they have been powder coated. So im unsure weather to powder coat or just wet spray :wacko: .

Still waiting on some pics :bounce:

I can only assume that the allow is heating up expanding and cooling down contracting and of course the poweder coat is not flexible - bit like normal paint on a plastic bumper etc - so maybe thats why or the priming has not been done to a high standard?? Who knows?

Thanks Martin, very informative link.

So from what I can gather on there:

-They mustn't use a bakeoff oven to remove the old paint, Sand blast only

-They must only apply as much heat as necessary, 375 degrees.

-First, they have to heat the wheels (after stripping) to 'out-gas' them. They will be pulled out and sprayed. Then cured under heat again. then pulled out, then cleared, then cured again. each time I like 8-15 mins

-They also require a clear coat

They mentioned something called Dupicolor. Ill have to research into this also.

Thanks Again :thumbs:

Main thing they need to do is keep the heat below 200C/400F. Thats when the metal fatiques. I've had my Rotas refubed 3 times including once when it was originally wet painted and 2x PC. Wet painted didnt stand up to anything, and powdercoating is much better. Dont worry about all the scare mongoring, if its done right its fine. My car has had plenty of stick from airfield days to hooning around Scotland and Wales and everything has been fine. So long as they know how to PC forged alloys all is good :thumbs:

Main thing they need to do is keep the heat below 200C/400F. Thats when the metal fatiques. I've had my Rotas refubed 3 times including once when it was originally wet painted and 2x PC. Wet painted didnt stand up to anything, and powdercoating is much better. Dont worry about all the scare mongoring, if its done right its fine. My car has had plenty of stick from airfield days to hooning around Scotland and Wales and everything has been fine. So long as they know how to PC forged alloys all is good :thumbs:

:thumbs: When I get some money together I think Im going to go for it. Cheers Chris.

Unsure what colour to go for. All black, Black with chrome rim, Black with different colour rim :wacko:

Can someone do a photoshop for me?

350Z.jpg

Cheers :teeth:

Powdercoating on the normal Rays will be fine. I'll normally take a couple days but it depends how busy etc they are and how they work.

All the problems in the US are around powdercoating the new GT4 alloys. There have been a large number of failures with these being powdercoated.