JDM versus UK - power differences

eddmac

I have noticed that the common trend when advising newbies is to steer clear of JDM's and buy a UK car, because they are better.

Let me just clarify one of the points.

JDM's and UK models are made in the same factory and have Very minor differences. One of the more major of these is that JDM's consistantly have about 10hp MORE than UK models, due to differences in the ECU.

If you are intending to modify your 350Z, I recommend that you buy a JDM, for this reason and the fact that it will be cheaper too ;)

Now let the arguments commence :yahoo::thumbs:

Guest prescience

I think the only downside may be on resale but since it started out cheaper anyhow, that's not an issue.

What is the warranty situation?

I too agree even being a UK model owner.

This was all down to a Rolling Road day when LadyBoy wooped everyone even when he was running 95 Ron petrol. He was 10 Bhp above even the best NA UK.

The only thing I would say is insurance may be a £100 more, but if you save £2k on the car and get more power you are quids in.

Steve

I have noticed that the common trend when advising newbies is to steer clear of JDM's and buy a UK car, because they are better.

Let me just clarify one of the points.

JDM's and UK models are made in the same factory and have Very minor differences. One of the more major of these is that JDM's consistantly have about 10hp MORE than UK models, due to differences in the ECU.

If you are intending to modify your 350Z, I recommend that you buy a JDM, for this reason and the fact that it will be cheaper too ;)

Now let the arguments commence :yahoo::thumbs:

I have nothing against imports, the Golf I have is an import, and it actually came as a much higher spec than standard in the UK.

The Import guys get to start modding straight away. Ive go 3 years of warranty to chew through. But I wil probably never highly modify the cr anyway - a pop charger and some cosmetics will probably be my lot.

I own a JDM and thought I should change it as we have had a new baby and wanted a more practical car and what I can only descibe as the 'conspiracy' by the UK franchised dealers is shocking.

the majority of them were not even interested in giving me a px, telling me come back when you have sold it!

the others were just looking for excuses to insult me with a px price - 'no-one wants a JDM', 'Japanese service history and independedent dealers doesnt count,we will have to price it as no SH' - exactly why would I have it services at a franchised dealer????

so I am hanging onto it, buy it cheap, enjoy it, service it independently, and sell it on cheap :boxing:

I own a JDM and thought I should change it as we have had a new baby and wanted a more practical car and what I can only descibe as the 'conspiracy' by the UK franchised dealers is shocking.

the majority of them were not even interested in giving me a px, telling me come back when you have sold it!

the others were just looking for excuses to insult me with a px price - 'no-one wants a JDM', 'Japanese service history and independedent dealers doesnt count,we will have to price it as no SH' - exactly why would I have it services at a franchised dealer????

so I am hanging onto it, buy it cheap, enjoy it, service it independently, and sell it on cheap :boxing:

I want to buy a 350 is yours for sale ?? email if so Thanks Tim :)

Guest prescience

Welcome lomoto (Tim). :welcome:

Looks like you're in Chesterfield like our esteemed Admin? Send nikos a PM - but looks like he may be keeping for now - unless the price is right ;)

Fuel tank size is different as well with the JDM I think.

One thing that I would consider a must for a JDM is check about wether it has the same rust protection as a uk car. Some imports dont have a good protection in that area. Consider wax oil if this is the case.

Steve it’s not my experience that JDM insurance is higher then uk if you look in the right places

I know a few UK car owners that are paying well above the price I paid

The only problem I had was the limited number of company’s doing imports

I really cant understand all this nonsense that the insurance market places over this "import" market.

It all stems back to the eighties when japanese imports were considerably different to their UK counterparts.

For instance, there are many companies that discount an import, and refuse to quote outright. Which raises an interesting question when it comes to VW (as well as other marques). Where is the VW factory in the UK?

Answer - there isnt one. They are all imported. Indeed my import Golf was built in the same factory as a friend UK car. Insurers just try to use it as a reason to try fleecing people.

Either that, or they can't get past their eighties blinkers, and see todays import market for what it is, which in reality is hardly any differences from UK cars...

I have to agree with Chesterfield - this is all a hangover from a Loooong time ago and is perpetuated by many Z owners :scare:

Most cars now are world cars, ie they are built in one country and shipped everywhere else. As far as i know, Honda build cars in the UK and ship them to Japan (if not Honda, then one of the "Japanese makers"

I wonder if the japanese would pay more for a JDM (even when knowing that IT IS MADE IN THE SAME FACTORY AS THE IMPORT!!!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

First post to the site. I am considering a 350Z purchase and thought I would tap into the knowledge on this site first to guide me. I am considering a Japanese important to save on the pounds and wanted to check the differences between a UK car and a Japanese import. I have listed what I have found but would be grateful if members could add to the list of correct me if I am wrong.

• 1> I am considering the roadster and believe this is in fact called the ‘Fairlady’ in Japan.
    2> Fog light would have to be fitted.
    3> Possibility of poorer corrosion protection when compared with UK cars (anybody got quotes from garages to apply protection to the car?).
    4> 10 bhp extra with Japanese cars over UK cars.
    5> Stiffer suspension on UK cars over Japanese cars.
    6> Japanese cars have ‘S’ and ‘T’ packs which when combined are the same as the UK ‘GT’ pack.
    7> More expensive insurance on Japanese cars over UK cars.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: Think you can guess the colour I want from the ID.

• 1> I am considering the roadster and believe this is in fact called the ‘Fairlady’ in Japan.
    2> Fog light would have to be fitted.
    3> Possibility of poorer corrosion protection when compared with UK cars (anybody got quotes from garages to apply protection to the car?).
    4> 10 bhp extra with Japanese cars over UK cars.
    5> Stiffer suspension on UK cars over Japanese cars.
    6> Japanese cars have ‘S’ and ‘T’ packs which when combined are the same as the UK ‘GT’ pack.
    7> More expensive insurance on Japanese cars over UK cars.

:welcome:

• 1 correct
    2 correct (will do that during SVA)
    3 I doubt that it'll be an issue, Zs are made in the same factory for the whole world
    4 again, this was only proved by a very early JDM model over only one dyno session, so imo this is debatable
    5 all Z in the world have now the same suspension setup as the European ones (since Nov 2004 IIRC)
    6 yes, look for ST models (or why not models or colours only available in japan)
    7 true in most cases

more importantly, JDM cars are normally limited to 112mph

Thought I add my two penneth to this one :teeth:

I looked at buying a JDM before settling on my UK Kuro Sweetheart :blush: To be honest it was more about that particular car than it was about the import/UK argument. It was a little tatty TBH, and I wasn't keen on the electric blue interior trim :scare: The Kuro just looked Sooooo good - but then Kuro's usually do B):p

Anyway, my Scooby was an import and that was fantastic value. In terms of the resale folks, you'll find that the further down the financial ladder you slip, the less difference it makes to the resale. My Scooby was MY00 and there was no difference at all between it and a UK model. I suspect the same will be for 6-10 year old Zeds... Given that the Scooby dealers would FLAT refuse to touch an import put loads of people off, but Nissan seem happy to service anything with four wheels :D

So I would just go for it, buy whatever you want, and it will no doubt give you miles of trouble free service. Enjoy! :thumbs:

hi I have just bought an import 350Z. :D .it is an original 2002 model..on close inspection it is like NEW underneath..I can only put this down to the Japanese market cars not seeing any salty roads !!

Before I purchased this particular car ,I viewed a 2005 UK car that looked like it had been at the bottom of the sea for 10 years...so really it is down to individual cars available on the used market and you cant throw a blanket on condition despite where the car was first purchased new.

I also have bought in the past a Misubishi GTO also a Jap import that was 10 years old and again the bodywork was like new, so I wouldnt hold back buying an import if the price is right along with condition.., as after all they all came from the same factory !! just my thoughts Cheers Tim :thumbs:

As on the point of insurance I pay the same for my import roadster as a UK car with Churchill (I quoted both with them and got the same quote)

Also be aware of clubs offering group insurance deals (if you pay a membership) they are only a benefit if you are running a highly modified car (cars that are imported need to be none modified to pass the SVA test to allow them on UK roads)

So it will benefit the minority modified car owners before you benefit (I checked it out and my insurance would be £250 more, if I used the group deal)

As of the Japanese climate is hotter than ours It rained all the time I was there (4weeks) so would doubt if they protected their cars different, I have a friend that lives in Kyushu and will email him to asked the question to his local dealer and post the answer.

As of value I have stated I could not afford a UK car and play with it the way I have so it’s down to what you want it for like Eddie stated.

If you want a standard car and want to trade it in through the dealer route it has to be a UK car, as they won’t consider an import.