2009 Chevy Impala crashes into 1959 Impala

Indyzed

This is AMAZING test footage of just how far safety has come in cars. My first car was a '59 Impala. I bought it fully restored in 1986 and drove it seven years with no accidents. I didn't even think about it. Looking at this video makes me want to puke thinking of what could of happened!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/vide ... 311737001/

i always thought american automotive companies had a bad reputation for safety. weren't there cars that got nick named rolling bbq's because if they were hit up the rear the fuel tank exploded as it earthed out on something.

for me the image of american cars is that they are cheaply built to maximize profit. even the latest ford GT was using leaf spring suspension which is what we used to use on horse and carts.

american muscle was good for going fast in a straight line which suits the country well, because i don't thin there are that many corners when traveling coast to coast.

but european and japanese cars had the best handling and chassis characteristics.

If you go to Google Video and type in "wheels of tragedy" you'll find some amazing videos of actual crashes taped by a crew who followed the Ohio State Highway Patrol back in the late 1950's and early 1960's. Some amazing footage (100% real) and they spared nothing. They were used all over America for 40+ years in most driver education classes. I was subjected to all of them. Those old yank tanks tore everyone up like rag dolls. :surrender: