Used cars 'now gaining in value'

Chris`I

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8251920.stm

Second-hand cars are gaining rather than depreciating in value due to a shortage in supply, an industry-wide research company has found.

CAP Motor Research Ltd, which provides valuation data to the car industry, said the usual 15%-a-year depreciation of used car prices has been reversed.

Companies delaying replacing their fleets and the government scrappage scheme has led to a shortage in supply.

This year the average family car has increased in value by about £600.

:yahoo:

You may say it doesn't help us but I have just seen my 350 go up 1k since March! I know as I had a trade in price then and have just sold and the price had gone up a grand! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::lol:

At that rate keep it for another 2 yeras and you'll pretty much have made your money back from new !

:lol: - that is a great result for you though - good stuff

You may say it doesn't help us but I have just seen my 350 go up 1k since March! I know as I had a trade in price then and have just sold and the price had gone up a grand! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::lol:

At that rate keep it for another 2 yeras and you'll pretty much have made your money back from new !

that's true, it'll help if you buy a new car instead of another used one!

true, i paid £13,500 for my zed in June this year sold it 1 week ago for £14,450 WIN !

but if you buy another 2nd hand car then that will cost more too, surely?

Yes, unless you're trading down or buying new, your next car will be more expensive.

true, i paid £13,500 for my zed in June this year sold it 1 week ago for £14,450 WIN !

but if you buy another 2nd hand car then that will cost more too, surely?

Yes, unless you're trading down or buying new, your next car will be more expensive.

Looks good if I want to get a 370z :teeth:

They dont reckon this will last long though. Apparently its all because of the Government trade in scheme, which is about to run out of money. As soon as it does, supply of used cars will increase again and prices will fall. But its nice while it lasts :)