LED dome light short circuit

Husky

figured out why my dome lights no longer worked, after going throgh aver fuse i pulled it apart, very easy and found the problem

post-4823-135011864414_thumb.jpg

the LED body which is a block of metal acting as a heat sink for the LED, bridged between the two contacts marked in red. shorting the circuit and stopping it from working.

so my advice is make sure you dont rotate the led if you have these, have them at an angle where they do not contact the clips. :thumbs:

hopefully i can fix it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are these the interior lights husky? If yes I have a similar problem, my lights don't respond and fade when the door open or when I use the key fob to unlock the car. The light do work when I manually press the light switch though ?

I think I will tackle the problem again this weekend, let me know how you get on.

these are indeed the dome lights on the roof interior behind the sunglasses holder the reson they work on the button is that it is a different circuit powered by a black and red wire, whereas the door bit is from the pink and red wires :thumbs:

no its definately a short circuit, the metal body contacts the two clips very easily

very annoying, there was a fizz when i tried re-orientating them originally so i need to find what burned out

ive already had the switches apart and they are fine,

note: do not take the white switches apart!!!!!! :lol:

hey, i didnt design the nissan ones :surrender: its just a case of ruling out possible faults. and so far ive come up empty, frustrating.

This is it! This is the answer. It says here... that a bolt of lightning is going to strike the clock tower at precisely 10:04pm, next Saturday night! If... If we could somehow... *harness* this lightning... *channel* it... into the flux capacitor... it just might work

too late regarding taking the white switches apart Husky, took me a while to find that damn spring which flew out when I opened one of the white switches aprt :lol:

Bulletmaget, you maybe right about the led bulbs not allowing gradual fade. I will slot back the old bulbs and see if they still allow the gradual fade effect. Ifthey do, Im stuck as to where the problem is then :bang:

before i tried readjusting the led's they worked perfectly, for a number of weeks. an idnt broken dont fix it moment :doh:

yeah i opened it and had just the caseing in my hand and had no idea how many components had fired about my living room :lol: managed to find the last spring under the coffee table. also took me a while to realise how that tiny metal sprung ring went in, had it upside down for a while. :rolleyes: also then i tried supergluing the thing back together but the glue seeped down to the mechanism :wacko: had to scrape it all out and put together again, decided mlting it together with soldering iron would be best.

im off to the car now to see if it burned the connector out?

just tried putting back the non led bulb and I still have the same problem with the gradual fading effect not working :dry:

back to the car to have another look.................going to check the fuses again which is located below the driver kickwell, this problem arised when I changed a fuse which blew and the indicator, speedo didnt work

hmm i checked all my fuses and they seemed fine but then that was at 1am with beer inside me. it would make complete sense that a short in the dome lights will blow a fuse. and boy is that fuse board in a crap position!! im going to check the circuit diagrams to see where it goes :)

Guys, please be carefuly dicking about with the dome light. Trust me I learnt the hard way. Shorting the circuit can send a jolt back to the BCM and completely fook it up. I did this trying to work out the wiring for the footwell lights, burnt out the dome lights and ballsed up the BCM. Fortunately, I took it to Nissan saying it just decided to die when the dash lights all went out, and under warrenty they replaced the dome lights (£100+) and the BCM (£500+). I dont want this to happen to you too! :surrender:

only dome light fade dead,but im worried i will never get it back now :cry:

Well you seem to know your electronics and you have the wiring diagram, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be careful not to make it worse, as Nissan wont solve it, they'll throw parts at it until it works again! :dry: I knew my BCM had gone by knowing that it linked all the bits that werent working, however it took them all day to decide this and then order the parts. Even then they went convinced it was the BCM! :doh:

WTF :scare::scare::scare::scare:

This is the reason my dome lights are not fading becuase I was playing around to get the some nice footwell lights in and this shorted a fuse and the rest is history !!!!!

will I ever get the dome fading lights working again :byebye:

Husky, did you manage to get your dome fading function to work again ?

unless we have already caused it :cry: all i wanted to do was turn them round so they didnt shine in my eyes :surrender: honeslty what a stupid system! :rant: why does it not have its own relay or fuse built in :angry:

im going to percivere now i know what to aviod, i have the system out of the car so its not going to do any damage just now. im sure the fizz came from the unit though :dry: not the bcm

i have two spare white led ones mate, i cant remember how much they cost, ill check when i get back from tescos. you dont need to take it all apart, but now we knoe why it stopped working we can prevent it. they do improve the look by alot :thumbs: also have blue if thats your taste?

i have two spare white led ones mate, i cant remember how much they cost, ill check when i get back from tescos. you dont need to take it all apart, but now we knoe why it stopped working we can prevent it. they do improve the look by alot :thumbs: also have blue if thats your taste?

white bulbs will be fine ;)