Changing spark plugs

goatboy

Just in case anyone had looked on here and seen you needed to take off your strut brace to change your spark plugs I can confirm you don't!

The only thing that is a bit tricky with the Strut brace on is getting the engine cover off, but you can get at all the nuts and bolts with a swan neck spanner and slide the cover out no problem (maybe different if you have a plenum spacer though).

Access to the plugs is a bit fiddly but with a selection of extension bars and universal joints you can manage it no problem. I took off some brackets that hold the various wiring looms in place to give slightly better access (3 brackets on each side I think held on with 10mm bolts) but otherwise they went in no problems and nothing else needed to be removed.

Took about 1.5 hours (which is a long time to change some spark plugs I know!) but probably doable in less than an hour once you know what you are doing.

Saved me £160 in labour charges my local dealer quoted for the job :wacko:

Nice one mate - any pictures for a guide? Are they those fancy Irriudium ones or just boggo btw?

Sorry no :blush: but its pretty straight forward. Yes I went for Irriudium ones.

Or you could just take the strut brace off, only takes a minute or two (6bolts, 2nuts), making access so much easier

I didn't have a big enough spanner to undo the brace and I was concerned about torquing it back up properly.

It really didn't make that much difference though. Would have only made the job shorter by 5 mins max for not having the brace there...

I wouldn't think you would need to torque it back up. had mine off a couple of times and it comes straight off and goes straight back on. Only time I did have to torque it back up is when I actually removed the mount when I had it powered coated. Always nice if you don't have to take things off though.

i found removing the strut brace was simple, the torque settings for the mounts are in the workshop manual as is the brace torque setting itself, you do however need a funky spanner torque doohiccy. i just went for the hmmm that feels very tight, it'll do, when the wings start bowing out you know youve gone to far :lol: