CEL is back! Update: Nissan are a set of monkeys!

UNABASHED

Engine light came on (a full week after buying the car!!!!) on the drive home home last night.

I did the little sequence so that it flashed me the error code and I got 340 which I think relates to P0340 - CMP (Cam Shaft Position) Sensor (Phase).

Can anyone enlighten me a bit more on what this means and what I need to do, should I take it off the road completely until I get it into a garage?

Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

What does that mean?This indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it.

I've heard of this before, and seems to be croppingup more often now. Usually the sensor itself which has gone bad. Best person to speak to is ZMANALEX, he will help you diagnose (if possible) what the cause is and probably has a replacement part waiting to go. I would definately not drive it until you know what it is for.

I definitely didnt want to drive it and make matters worse so I've left the car at home this morning and taken the other half's car to work. Looking around the itnernet this issue does seem to crop up a bit, mainly on the US forums, and seems like its a faulty sensor (or 2?) in the majority of cases.

I'll be giving Nissan a ring later on and Ill also drop ZMANALEX a PM.

well it's not been the best fortnight since buying the car!

I was travelling down the M62 a couple of hours ago to see the missus, suddenly the engine light flashes on and T/C lights up as well as the SLIP light, as this happens power suddenly drops out so from going at just under 70 car will no longer push past 40. I slow it down, put hazzards on and start to pull over, by this point (only a few seconds since it began) the engine picks up again and all seems okay(ish) but lights are still on. I turn off engine and let everything settle a little, then try firing up again, takes a heart stopping couple of seconds but the engine starts and things seem okay.

As a precaution I called the RAC, I tried doing the accelerator pedal morse code thing but no joy this time. The RAC chap came out and tried to read the code but not working, I mention that it's an import (as I did on the phone to RAC call centre) and he says it's impossible to read the codes for imports in this country. To cut a long story short he says he suspects the crank or camshaft sensor - which ties in with what ZMANALEX said - and that I ought to go back home as it was only 10 mile away, drive slow and he would follow me to make sure I was okay. Spent about 40 mins nursing her back home, always under 35 - much to the dismay of everyone else on the road. It did at least cheer me up to be the cause of such Northern hatred :lol:

• 4 months later...

well it happened again the other night :wacko:

took it to Nissan and they told me it would be £100 just to put it on the diagnostic machine and then another £60 for each sensor plus whatever labour involved to get it fitted (if that is indeed the problem).

at the moment I'm thinking that the value for money option might be to just buy both sensors myself for £120 and replace them to see if that cures the problem.

got the code of 340 same as shire in the thread shown by narcotix. Nissan were so vague about how much this is going to cost I can just see it sprialling, that's the main reason why I thought I might just repalce both sensors and hope for the best to begin with. Anyone know of any decent garages (non-nissan!) in and around Leeds that would be a cheaper alternative than nissan?

bump - anyone know of any garages in Leeds that can help me out asap?

Does RStuning do this kind of thing or are they purely tuners?

give them a bell and see :)

:lol: I will be calling as many places as I can once I'm on lunch today, just trying to get an list of garages to start calling.

on a side note, does anyone know of a guide to replacing the sensors? I have looked on here and my350 but cannot find anything showing me exactly how to do it. Well, there was 1 sketchy diagram but not enough to make my brain understand what to do :wacko:

Just been on phone to RS and they said best to go Nissan as they probably won't be able to pick up on which sensor is at fault, only pick up the code that I already know from doing accelerator pressing.

It's looking more and more likely I'm going to have to bend over for Nissan, if they can ever fit me in to take a look that is :bang:

Oh really , you can read what all the O2 sensors are reading with the uprev , so I thought you can work out what 1 isn't working properly.

Shame you a little far from us , we have a Nissan Consult 2 for diagnostic,s.

Fancy a road trip!!!!

If I trusted it wouldn't kill me on motorway I might just have come down!

Anyway, it's in Nissan now so should hear tomorrow afternoon exactly what is wrong, exactly what needs sorting and exactly how much I'm out of pocket!

Nissan have called to say they have diagnosed the cam sensor fault (without using the £100 a minute machine!) and now found 5 more error codes being thrown up. I asked for the codes and looked up what they all referred to;

2 x P1212 - ABS / TCS control unit

2 x P1612 NATS malfunction (I believe to be nissan aniti thesft system?)

U1000 - CAN coomunication (just a problem with connected the consult machine?!)

they have told me that it will be £200 to investgate these issues further - are these not all related or does this sound correct??

car has now been in Nissan since Tuesday!

Got a call last night confirming that the sensor will need replacing and while the engine 'was in bits' they have cleaned out the other sensors that have been throwing up codes. The total bill was due top be £250, which I didn;t think was too bad, certainly less than I was expecting! The nice girl told me the sensor was on order for this morning and that I could collect my car at lunch today and she would keep me informed as to when it was definitely finished.

Lunchtime came and went, no phone call, no-one available to answer my questions. not a good sign!

I kept pestering them until Amy calls me at 2pm to let me know there was a problem with the sensor they ordered, the problem being that it was the wrong sensor! Of course this was not there fault but the suppliers fault. so it's not Nissan's fault for ordered the wrong part but actually Nissan's fault for delivering the wrong part - I feel much better about that fact!

I called back to get a courtsey car, FOC of course, as the car was only ever meant to be in for a day. ASfter being passed from pillar to post so many times I actually began to feel dizzy I finally found someone to help. I was told that they do not have many cars left for hire, if any but he would see what he could do. He told me that if he calls me then there will be a hire car available to pick up this afternoon but he won;t call me if he cannot arrange a car. 'Why can you not call me to let me knoe either way??' I ask him and with much huffing and puffing he said he will let me know later.

I compained that the service at this particular Nissan is shocking, never have any calls answered, very rude staff when actually going into Nissan (I was waiting at the service desk for 10 minutes 2 feet in front of a guy and he never looked up once to say 'ill be with you in 2 mintes etc then fecked off for a cup of tea>?!?!), and constantly being let down, also the fact that one person even argued with me about what my car was - I told him it was a Nissan Fairlady and which point he said that doesn't exist and that mine must be a UK model (?!?!?!).

the chap i was talking to actually shocked me and said he would knock £100 of the cost of my repair - I shall wait and see if that actually happens when I go in tomorrow evening!

rant over.