Thinking about buying a Zed

mikeinman

Hello all, I'm a forum virgin!? I'm currently thinking about buying an 04 350Z fairlady (Is this an import?) It has 27000 miles on the clock, it needs a service which I believe it's due one? The log doesn't show it had one and the salesman said it will get one. Should I get this car checked over by the RAC or someone so that I cover my arse? I test drove it yesterday and f**k me it's was awesome, why has it taken me so long to decide to get one!? Are there any common faults that should've already been rectified or are there any coming up due to it's age/mileage? Also, are the brakes meant to be sharp or gradual? I had to put a fair bit of power behind my foot to make it stop, There's about 3mm of pad left i think from what I could see. Would the miles reflect worn pads if they hadn't been changed? Sorry about the 20 questions but I'm really excited at the prospect of owning this car. Many thanks to all who reply.

:welcome: to the forum ....

FairladyZ is just the name they have over in Japan and well I think the rest of the world - its just the model name they have used for about 40 years now.

(yes its an import) but they are the same car as UK just different reg plate bumpers and I think the suspension is slightly differently set up.

There are no major issues with Zeds but try the search and FAQ's section on the forum you have a wealth of knowledge here.

3mm on the pads?? I would get them to change them regardless! Brakes are good on them as a rule with the standard pads etc.

Try to find out which model it is - there are different grades? This will reflect in the price - does it have Satnnav screen for example?

:welcome:

From this post you can see the different JDM spec's, though I'm not 100% sure where it will be recorded I'm afraid:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13288

JDM Specs

Base---17" wheels, ABS,Brake assist,TCS,limited slip diff,xenon headlights

Version T---- leather seats, seven speaker bose

Version S-- 18" rims Brembo's and VDc(instead of TCS ? )but no leather

Version ST--leather +Version S spec

rear spoilers/sat nav and side airbags ordered as extras on all specs + loads of other Extras not seen on UK cars like auto fold mirrors ,different steering wheels, footwell illumination etc etc...

:welcome: to the club. I am a FairladyZ owner as are couple of people on here. Thet are generally cheaper to buy and the resale isn't as much as a UK car. Given you pay less though I don't mind the resale being lower. You will find loads of information on here. You won't be disappointed with the car if its a good clean example. :thumbs:

:welcome: to the club

My UK spec has folding mirrors :teeth:

Your not the only one Rich!!!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Someone here may correct me but i think the Imports are more to insure, They were when i got quotes.

I personally made the decision not to get an import, couldnt read the handbook!

Anyhoo, good luck with the Z search!