Wax question.....

Jak

Hi,

When i wash my car (most weekends) i use Autoglym car shampoo and Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Ultra Deep Shine (Only polish every other weekend ish) and am always pretty pleased with the results - However i am considering buying a wax to use occaisionally too, am impressed with the results i've seen from Blackfre Ivory Wax - the only thing worrying me is the price £38 a pot it ait cheap is it! :scare:

What would liketo know is:

RoughlyHow long/ How many applications would 1 Pot Last?

Are there any good alternatives (possibly slightly cheaper :blush:)

Also am i right in thinking you apply the wax after polishing?

I also have a Maguires claybar kit i am waiting to try out at some point.

Thanks in advance

Jak

Firstly, you dont need to polish every other weekend! Twice a year should be more than enough. When you polish, you are taking of a very fine later of the clear coat, so you dont want to be doing it too regularly otherwise you will eventually wear through it :scare:

Wax wise, once a month should be fine once you have a good base. As a good base, do about 4 coats, but leave 24hrs between them for the wax to fully cure :thumbs:

to be honest its not even as frequent as every other weekend, but i would say probably at least once a month - maybe i should cut back! i think the shine is addictive!

Would you polish / clay before applying the 1st coat of wax just to make sure no crap is under it?

to be honest its not even as frequent as every other weekend, but i would say probably at least once a month - maybe i should cut back! i think the shine is addictive!

Would you polish / clay before applying the 1st coat of wax just to make sure no crap is under it?

Yes. First time around, wash, clay, polish and then wax. From then on, just wax after a wash. Every six months, take it right back to the paint and start again, wash, clay, polish, wax :thumbs:

I'm a blackfire veteran. The first blackfire wax I bought was £60 and I'd pay that again no problem.

Blackfire wax used properly (very thin layer - most people use FAR too much wax) will last over a year easily. Once a month or bi monthly is enough with a quality wax.

Blackfire wax used properly (very thin layer - most people use FAR too much wax) will last over a year easily.

I think it would last closer to 18 months if done right ;) I've had a tub of Dodo SN2 for well over 6 months now and I've used less than a quarter of it. I find an applicator and warming up the wax is the best way to get nice thin layers that minimises wastage :)

oh dear i fear i'm going to sound very naive now - having never used a wax before how do you apply it? perhaps foolishly i assumed it would be similar to applying polish :blush:

Thanks for all the help too by the way!

Jak

oh dear i fear i'm going to sound very naive now - having never used a wax before how do you apply it? perhaps foolishly i assumed it would be similar to applying polish :blush:

Thanks for all the help too by the way!

Jak

Don't worry - I'm in the same boat as you, but I wait for other people to ask the questions first and listen to the responses :lol:

On the back of this, gone and got myself a foam lance from t'ebay - Gilmour Foamaster II - without starting up a whole new thread, can anyone recomend a good thick foam shampoo to use?

Mine needs quite a bit of attention at the front really, quite a bit of stuck on muck. Been looking at the meguiars claying kits, nearly bought one at the Leeds VW fest this weekend :blush: (I know, traitor!! Mate was showing his '67 Bug)

Well I personally use a quality foam pad and apply wax in a very thin layer. Leave for a bit (wax dependant) and buff off with a god microfibre cloth. Others may have different ideas!

With a gilmour you won't get shaving foam style foaming. You could use someething like Bilt Hambers autofoam but personally I don't see the need to spend money on a 'foam' as I use Meguiars professional Shampoo Plus. It comes in gallons and with using it to foam and to wash will last 12 - 18 months with regular use. All for £13.

The Meguiars clay kit is pretty good. I am using Bilt Hamber ( http://www.bilthamber.com/autoclay.html ) soft for general use. It's excellent and only requires water as lube. It is far better value for money than the meguiars kit although performance will be pretty much equal.

Buying professional products in bulk is the way forward if you have the storage! I have a lot of value of products (£££) but it is all good so not only lasts a long time, it does the job quicker.

and you would rub it in using small circular motions avec les applicator? as you would with polish?

Whats the consensus on Autoglym High Definition Wax?

Jak

I tend to apply mine in with a circular motion and then in back and forth to finish. Gets decent coverage then. But its pretty much down to you how you do it, just make sure its fully covered. HD wax is rated by some, but I'd prefer to spend a bit more and get Dodo Juice :thumbs:

Okie Dokie, i reckon i might go for the Autoglym to start as we seem to have alot of there products kicking around the garage and it seems pretty reasonably priced too - then if i get on with it i may go posher next time (ie Black fire or DoDo - I will be splitting the costs with my bro anyway so not such a bigoutlay really!)

Thanks alot for all the advice, will get some result pics up when i get my arse in gear!

Jak

I must say actually when i polished the car this weekend i used a microfibre cloth to polidh off with as apposed to the standard polish cloths and i really think it made a great difference to the shine - anyone else agree with this?

I must say actually when i polished the car this weekend i used a microfibre cloth to polidh off with as apposed to the standard polish cloths and i really think it made a great difference to the shine - anyone else agree with this?

Have only used microfibres or terry towels in the time I've been cleaning cars.

Microfibres are much better for paint though!

i use meguairs carnuba wax, its a nice mid range product and does a very good job.
I used to use that, bought the full 3 stage Megs system when I first started out. The only downside I find is that the Carnuba wax doesn't last long at all. I've moved onto Dodo Supernatural now, with some Collinite for the winter months.

I try not to put any products on the car in in small circular motions, i tend to apply in straight lines, minimises swirl marks
Thats the way I do it, apply in lines from the front to the back of the panel, the way the air flows over the car.

A belated thank you for advice on the foaming products (damn work internet only has a short window before it blocks certain sites!). Tbf it cost me next to nothing for the nozzle, if it sucks I'll try other stuff.

Like the sound of the Meguiars shampoo, might have to give that a blast. For years I used the Turtlewax Xtreme products, but got loads of Autoglym stuff at the min and it does a great job & very little water marking / residue.

A lotta you folks on here really know your stuff though! The cars look B)