Odometer question- is this normal?

rickya

As you may know I last week bought a 2004 JDM. A couple of days ago someone asked a question about speedometer etc & I answered that when the car comes into Uk & SVA conversion done, the speedo dial & digi pods will be calibrated to mp/h. (even though it will say km/h). Fine. I have verified this with my TomTom.

But I also said that the odometer which records the cars total mileage (in the dash digital one) will still record the cars mileage in km/h. This is not so for my car. E.g. my cars BIMTA cert showed it had done 14,910kms at import in Jan 2006. It then had its SVA conversion done so that the speedo goes up in mp/h. The cars odometer 6 months later has now covered 16,200 kilometers. But after verifying with my TomTom & measuring known distances it is definite that the odometer is going up in miles not kilometers.

Firstly is this normal for an import. Secondly to work out my correct mileage:

Speedo recalibrated at 14,910km = converted into miles = 9,265m

so

Odometer now going up in mp/h showing 16,200m

But I must take off 14,900 less 9,265 = 5,635

Therefore mileage in miles is 16,200m less 5,635m = 10,565 actual mileage in miles

Is this normal & can you imagine trying to explain that lot to a perspective buyer in a few years, let alone boring you lot with open university!! :scare:

As you may know I last week bought a 2004 JDM. A couple of days ago someone asked a question about speedometer etc & I answered that when the car comes into Uk & SVA conversion done, the speedo dial & digi pods will be calibrated to mp/h. (even though it will say km/h). Fine. I have verified this with my TomTom.

But I also said that the odometer which records the cars total mileage (in the dash digital one) will still record the cars mileage in km/h. This is not so for my car. E.g. my cars BIMTA cert showed it had done 14,910kms at import in Jan 2006. It then had its SVA conversion done so that the speedo goes up in mp/h. The cars odometer 6 months later has now covered 16,200 kilometers. But after verifying with my TomTom & measuring known distances it is definite that the odometer is going up in miles not kilometers.

Firstly is this normal for an import. Secondly to work out my correct mileage:

Speedo recalibrated at 14,910km = in miles = 9,265m

so

Odometer now going up in mp/h showing 16,200m

But I must take off 14,900

-(9,265)

Therefore mileage in miles is 16,200m

less excess due to km -(5,635)m

is this normal & can you imagine trying to explain that lot to a perspective buyer in a few years, let alone boring you lot with open university!! :scare:

totally Ok everones will be the same :thumbs:

Dont get hung up about the mileage no one will bother in a few years time

Its the same with yours also then lomoto? The good thing that comes out of all this is that after non economical driving (mainly to hear that exhaust at about 4,000rpm) I have done 200 miles, not kilometers, on only two thirds of a JDM 60 litre tank!! :yahoo: I used to get at best 220 miles on a full 62 litre tank in my old E36 M3 evo cab!

Its the same with yours also then lomoto? The good thing that comes out of all this is that after non economical driving (mainly to hear that exhaust at about 4,000rpm) I have done 200 miles, not kilometers, on only two thirds of a JDM 60 litre tank!! :yahoo: I used to get at best 220 miles on a full 62 litre tank in my old E36 M3 evo cab!

Thats about right. I get about 330 from my 80 litres :thumbs:

yep mines the same.as regards mileage on oddo :thumbs:

as regards fuel tank have you actually filled the tank from empty , as I have a Jap brochure that puts the tank capacity at 80 litres the same as a UK car!! where does everyone get this 60 litres from??

the odo will always equal 5,635 miles less than the figure showing - which may be a big deal at 15k but at 50k or 80k wont really matter.

alternatively do a google search on mileage correction services, & get it corrected,

the odo will always equal 5,635 miles less than the figure showing - which may be a big deal at 15k but at 50k or 80k wont really matter.

alternatively do a google search on mileage correction services, & get it corrected,

Dont get it "corrected" this is a criminal offence :blush: ...just leave it as it is..!!you have documented evidence for the correct miles just leave it at that. Will only muddy the waters if you do anything else :thumbs:

Me too. My JDM was converted at SVA - the mileage equates with that shown on the BIMTA certificate, and the odometer is going up in miles. :)

I thought the tank only held 60 litres as well. Anybody know the right answer?

Jim