Car Finance

ab350z

Folks, I've got a question about the ins and out of car finance.

The cars I've been looking at will probably require a few extra pennies. I've been given fairly reasonable finance quotes but i'm worried that the finance is attached to the car and if I decide to sell before the term is up then its something that'll show up on HPi as having outstanding finance, despite the fact I'd always use the sale to cover the finance left. Its a bit of a grey area for me as i've only ever gone down the personal loan route for financing in the past.

When I bought mine the guy had finance from Nissan on it - it came up on the HPI (he'd already said it would), but I rang back two days later and they confirmed the finance charge on the vehicle had been removed when he paid it off. It must be something that comes up all the time on second owner cars. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Folks, I've got a question about the ins and out of car finance.

The cars I've been looking at will probably require a few extra pennies. I've been given fairly reasonable finance quotes but i'm worried that the finance is attached to the car and if I decide to sell before the term is up then its something that'll show up on HPi as having outstanding finance, despite the fact I'd always use the sale to cover the finance left. Its a bit of a grey area for me as i've only ever gone down the personal loan route for financing in the past.

Whats the difference between car finance and a personal loan? Im interested as i cant ever see myself being able to afford a new(er) car!

Personal load isn't attached to the car. Finance is :thumbs:

Got my car on finance and although it is working out okay for me at the minute, if I ever lose my job and need to sell the car on I cant as i payed £16,750 +interest and I doubt it's worth £13,000 now :dry: so I'd be left with a large shortfall.

I have bought a few cars on HP attached to the car, if you don't intend keeping a car long term it's a good way of being able to change every few years.

As once you have paid half you can simple hand the car back and the debt is considered repaid, not a lot of people realise this and don't make use of it.

That's the difference with HP on the car and a personal loan. A personal loan cannot be written off by handing the car back etc, you need to pay it in full.

Got my car on finance and although it is working out okay for me at the minute, if I ever lose my job and need to sell the car on I cant as i payed £16,750 +interest and I doubt it's worth £13,000 now :dry: so I'd be left with a large shortfall.

But isnt that just the same as a personal loan though? Or are you not legally allowed to sell the car?

But isnt that just the same as a personal loan though? Or are you not legally allowed to sell the car?

With Finance they could take the car back. With a personal loan they'll demand the money back if any default in payments happens

I know as a buyer I would be put off slightly, in the same vein as if the car showed up as a cat d or recovered stolen despite assurances. The rate i'm getting on a specific car finance is better than i'm getting on a personal loan or secured loan against mortgage, dont really want to be adding to my mortgage with the current climate.

Hmm not sure about that mate - unless its some 0% interest for 3 years or something at the dealers - my personal experience - I will never take finance on a car ever again - always get a personal loan or better still save up the money ! :bangin:

Hmm not sure about that mate - unless its some 0% interest for 3 years or something at the dealers - my personal experience - I will never take finance on a car ever again - always get a personal loan or better still save up the money ! :bangin:

Yeah this is my line of thought, obviously the more I can put in myself the better in the long run. Got myself a family owned Polo as a run around so some cheap motoring for a while cant be a bad thing then readdress the purchase around Xmas when hopefully some deals are to be had.

I know as a buyer I would be put off slightly, in the same vein as if the car showed up as a cat d or recovered stolen despite assurances. The rate i'm getting on a specific car finance is better than i'm getting on a personal loan or secured loan against mortgage, dont really want to be adding to my mortgage with the current climate.

Finance on a car is effectively the same as a mortgage for a car as it is secured against the motor, hence you may get a decent rate.

A personal loan is not secured against anything other than you as an individual therefore the rate may be slightly higher than finance.

Nobody should be put off buying a car that has finance outstanding. Just ensure that you get the finance details and pay the balance of the finance direct to the finance company and pay the difference the the seller.