Power lap times

sunset350z

Just had a look at the power lap times on top gear > http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

I just can't believe that the 370Z is almost 4 seconds a lap quicker than the 350. Wish they did a head to head with the 2 cars and sent the 350 around again. I'm sure it would knock a second or 2 off its lap time :drive1

What do you guys think? Is the 370z that much better :surrender:

Just had a look at the power lap times on top gear > http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

I just can't believe that the 370Z is almost 4 seconds a lap quicker than the 350. Wish they did a head to head with the 2 cars and sent the 350 around again. I'm sure it would knock a second or 2 off its lap time :drive1

What do you guys think? Is the 370z that much better :surrender:

Hmmmmmm could be. however i would have thought maybe 2 secs a lap at the max!

But remember it is lighter, more powerful and shorter/wider wheel base with better suspension and brakes than the VQ53DE zed with 276 BHP;).

A fare comparison would be the with the Revup DE or HR engined zeds with 300+bhp :lol:

Those lap times mean nothing. Different drivers on different days will give wildly different lap times.

Agree with this, there are a number of stigs, different driver & different day and conditions can make all the difference

Putting that aside, that GT-R is in some rarefied company at the top. I still struggle to get my head around the performance from that thing given its power to weight ratio. Has anyone ever seen a dyno on one?

Oh and the Stig must have been Helen Mirren on the day they did that Gallardo! (or it could have been raining ;) )

Those lap times mean nothing. Different drivers on different days will give wildly different lap times.

Oh and the Stig must have been Helen Mirren on the day they did that Gallardo! (or it could have been raining ;) )

I've always thought that, and very weird that the spider is faster than the coupe too??? I know it has higher BHP but its heavier............. :wacko:

Totally agree with you Ekona. The bog-standard (new model) audi tt with 2.0 turbo did a 1.31 dead - it really is not that fast but did a near perfect lap in perfect conditions but only has 200hp.

And I clearly remember a few years back when the lambo murcielago (spelt correct?) first came out it did a poor time (conditions were dry if marginally damp but really not much at all) and the reason why I remember it was because the gallardo did a quicker time. Lambo actually complained and got top gear to do race the murcielago a second time, this time in A1 perfect track conditions and it wiped 5 secs of its original time. So times on that board are not everything at all.

I would estimate the rev-up and 276 model would get near on identical times (rev up has more bhp but 276 model has a lot more torque - mine had 290lbs/ft torque, even more than an HR model) but the HR model would get very close times to the 370z and would be a fairer comparison.

Fifth gear rated the 350z as their all time favourite coupe. I actually saw a black 370z in a Nissan carpark this morning and in the sun it looked absolutely STUNNING especially with the 19inch wheels. It is very nice in person! Interior did not look much different but was slightly better quality, with leather in the centre console. Still got bloody plastic silver painted handles on the exterior and interior though (so would imagine they are very prone to scratches) - even my gf 1.2 polo has better quality crome/silver handles. Aside from that very nice looking car. Originally wasn't sure on the front grill with the two "fangs" under the number plate but seeing it in person I can say it suits it perfectly. They have released the yellow colour in the States so not sure why they would not release the yellow in the UK too. I would love to see it in that colour. Not sure why Clarkson said it had 326 bhp - it is advertised as having 332-336bhp.