Brake Pad Advice Needed Please

Neil

Neil,

If you going for EBC Red Stuff. Then allegedly this is a good price..... :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4630885529&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Let us know how you get on.... :thumbs:

Thanks Jacko but I think I'll buy them from here...(£112)

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/

Neil

Neil thats a real cheap price !! :thumbs:

I'd recommend DS2500's too - don't have them on the Z yet, but have them on the VR4's brembos. You'll pay a bit more than EBC though. Huge stopping power and no fade (provided you've got a decent spec brake fluid).

I always put copper grease on the pad back and shim - the DS2500's in particular wail like banshees on the VR4 and EVO's - not sure if this is a problem with the nissan.

The Ferodo's have a fairly aggressive bedding-in procedure, so make sure you follow it if you choose them over the redstuff.

my brembo sport came with no instructions whatsoever, they are made by ferodo too. Not fitted them yet

The DS2500's are racing pads, so I'd be wary of using the bedding in procedure for a fast road pad unless they specifically say so.

For the 2500's you need to perform 25-30 4sec brakes at 50% "racing pressure" on the trot. Then pull over and have a look - if you do it right, the discs should be blue with the heat. That's all there is to it. I amble up to a nice long, quiet road when there's not much traffic about, and get cracking. 15-30 minutes later, the pads are bedded in. No mucking about with 'easy driving' for 200 miles etc.

You do need to make sure that you've got decent brak fluid though, or the heat will boil it and it will never recover. I use motul RBF600, but there are plenty of alternatives out there. The Motul seemed to offer the best price/performance ratio.

Why do most people go for EBC Red Stuff over Green Stuff? Reds are designed for track cars and only designed to be effective after they have been warmed up i.e. not what you want if you just pop up the shops etc.

Green stuff are designed for daily use?

As for places - I have found these guys fairly competative in the past

http://www.needforspeed.co.uk[/url]

At the risk of sounding thick...

I am just changing the pads to EBC Reds.

I don't have to change the standard discs do I?

I ask because everyone thinks that £113 delivered for both front and back sets is cheap - it's a pad price only?

Hope I have not dropped a b*****k here?

Thanks

Neil

I ask because everyone thinks that £113 delivered for both front and back sets is cheap - it's a pad price only?

Thanks

Neil

You don't have to change the discs if you dont want/need to. :thumbs:

Thanks

Neil

no bollock dropped ,no need to swop the discs if they arent worn out :thumbs:

Why do most people go for EBC Red Stuff over Green Stuff? Reds are designed for track cars and only designed to be effective after they have been warmed up i.e. not what you want if you just pop up the shops etc.

Green stuff are designed for daily use?

As for places - I have found these guys fairly competative in the past

http://www.needforspeed.co.uk[/url]

I wondered that so I read the description for each (as follows)

EBC V4 Greenstuff

Fast/Heavy Street Use

Brake well from cold

Effective to above 650°C

Low dust formula

Generally recommended for cars producing up to 200BHP and / or NOT 4WD

Triple Max Power Award winning Greenstuff are the ultimate performance/fast street brake pads you can get for your hot hatch or sport compact. These pads have a high friction coefficient, great initial bite from cold, right up to a blistering 650 degrees centigrade. Another major benefit of the Greenstuff compound is its award-winning feature of being LOW DUST. Being awarded the UK magazines Autotrade Innovation Award for its low dust features, Greenstuff pads cut down between 60-90% of the dust common with most competitive types of semi-metallic pad on your alloys keeping wheels cleaner and delivering performance at the same time. Greenstuff pads are available for a huge range of cars, SUV’s, light trucks and mini vans.

EBC REDSTUFF CERAMIC

High Performance Road M3, Evo, Impreza etc.

Generally recommended for cars producing over 200BHP and / or 4WD

Since this material was introduced in late 2003, it has received many positive write ups from performance drivers of faster cars such as the Impreza. This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking. It emits far less dust than semi-metallic pads and has been proven to stop a saloon car 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph.

Features EBC Brake-In TM surface coating which conditions rotor surface and accelerates pad bed-in.

Average friction coefficient 0.5

Found it on http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/info.asp

It was the bit about cars over 200bhp that convinced me!

Hope this helps.

Neil

Thanks

Neil

no bollock dropped ,no need to swop the discs if they arent worn out :thumbs:

Phew !!

That's a relief.

Thanks mate. :thumbs:

They brake very well right from cold, and don't fade at all.

I bought my brembo calipers second hand and there weren't any shims with the pads that were in them - the DS2500's wailed like a banshee under light braking :scare:. I cut a set of shims out of the bottom of a biscuit tin (blue peter badge please), applied lots of copper grease to the backs of the pads and the shims, and problem solved. They don't squeal at all now.

I wouldn't use anything else!

Mind you, the first time my wife took the car out with the new pads, she nearly had someone drive right up her bum (oo-er) - she hadn't expected the car to stop so suddenly.