Brake Pad Advice Needed Please

Neil

I have been told that I need to replace both brake pad sets front & rear as they are 75% worn (27,000 miles).

I have been quoted £300 for the lot and I need to do this by the weekend as I am having my wheels shot blasted and re sprayed, along with the CV joint replacement, on Monday/ Tuesday next week.

Can you tell me if a) that is a good price and B) should I be looking to buy better quality pads, if so, please tell me which I need guys.

I have Brembo Calipers by the way.

Thanks in advance. :D

Neil

Neil,

Have a look in the technical guides. If this is for standard pads and not replacing disks it sounds way too expensive to me. Do it yourself it's a doddle. Even the guy over the road who has an Evo with Brembos took his out the other day as he had a stone in which was scoring the disks. He he said he had never changed a pad in his life.

Most people are going either Ferodo DS2500's or EBC (Red, Yellow or Green Stuff can't remember -I'm sure someone will be alonf to correct me soon).

Cheers

K

Check out this thread - its next down in the 'Technical' list :lol:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1974

Thanks Kev & Dorian

I read that thread before I posted mine and noticed that it referred to non Brembo calipers?

Sorry to sound thick guys but having never bought these before, what are the best type (I do not want standards again), where can I buy them and roughly how much do they cost please?

Will it affect any warranty as well?

Many thanks

Neil

Guest prescience

The issue is whether they would fit non-brembo; certainly ebc red stuff (whcih seem to be recommended by others) are OK for brembos.

www.brakes4u.co.uk or

www.opieoils.co.uk

brake pads/discs are not a warranty item anyway and I can't think or a defect that could be attributed to using aftermarket (and better) brake pads which could be directly linked back to the pads and was covered under warranty - that is the rule of thumb for any modification.

They're still going to have to fix that stuck window if you change your exhaust

The issue is whether they would fit non-brembo; certainly ebc red stuff (whcih seem to be recommended by others) are OK for brembos.

www.brakes4u.co.uk or

www.opieoils.co.uk

brake pads/discs are not a warranty item anyway and I can't think or a defect that could be attributed to using aftermarket (and better) brake pads which could be directly linked back to the pads and was covered under warranty - that is the rule of thumb for any modification.

Many thanks..appreciate your advice.

Think I'll go for EBC Red if that's what everyone else goes for.

All I have to do now is work out how to replace them myself ;)

Do you know what the wheel nut torque setting is by any chance?

Thanks again

Neil

www.brakes4u.co.uk or

www.opieoils.co.uk

Many thanks..appreciate your advice.

Think I'll go for EBC Red if that's what everyone else goes for.

All I have to do now is work out how to replace them myself ;)

Do you know what the wheel nut torque setting is by any chance?

Thanks again

Neil

Not sure off the top of me head :dry: All I can suggest is check your nuts after about 50-100 miles :blush:

Neil,

If you going for EBC Red Stuff. Then allegedly this is a good price..... :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4630885529&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Let us know how you get on.... :thumbs:

Thanks Jacko but I think I'll buy them from here...(£112)

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/

Liam - I check my nuts every hour...I'm a bloke! :dry:

Neil

Neil,

If you going for EBC Red Stuff. Then allegedly this is a good price..... :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4630885529&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Let us know how you get on.... :thumbs:

Thanks Jacko but I think I'll buy them from here...(£112)

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/

for front and rears? cheap if it is!

:lol: it's just the wheel that's off. I can tell you didn't read the guide then :)

anyway, Neil have you got brembos or not? as the tech guide seems to be for the non brembos setup?

I have Brembo's Val...

I thought the same....there seems to be alot of room around the arch?

Looked like the wing had been taken off for display purposes and yes..I was joking.

Thanks

Neil

well i suggest you don't use the 350Z-tech guide then mate as it's completely different, in fact it's easier if you have the brembos. Literally: wheel off, 2 safety pins, 2 metal bars, 1 metal plate that keeps the pads into place. remove the pads, push the cylinder back to make room for the new pads, reassemble. job done

well i suggest you don't use the 350Z-tech guide then mate as it's completely different, in fact it's easier if you have the brembos. Literally: wheel off, 2 safety pins, 2 metal bars, 1 metal plate that keeps the pads into place. remove the pads, push the cylinder back to make room for the new pads, reassemble. job done

Thanks for your help.

One question Val - the Nissan manual tells me 'Apply PBC (Poly Butyl Cuprysil) grease or silicone-based grease about 0.5 g (0.018 oz) per surface equally to back plate side of Inner Pad and Outer Pad.'

What grease do you use?

Thanks

Neil

Yes - while the info on 350z-tech is very very detailed and useful, they will cater for the model that has non brembos too - so always a good idea to check through an entire article from there before heading out to the garage to work on a UK specification Z.

Sorry for any confucion :blush:

Thanks for your help.

One question Val - the Nissan manual tells me 'Apply PBC (Poly Butyl Cuprysil) grease or silicone-based grease about 0.5 g (0.018 oz) per surface equally to back plate side of Inner Pad and Outer Pad.'

What grease do you use?

Thanks

Neil

depends. I read contrasing reviews with regards on to whether to use "copper grease" as if you use too much it can come off and ruin your wheels. There's no grease on the standard OEM pads (well if there was any in the first place, it's definitely gone now! ), they have a metal plate though and I guess that stops them from squeaking. Wonder if aftermarket pads will squeak if you don't use copper grease.

I'll just use some grease that my friendly mechanic neighbour will provide me :teeth:

PS of course the part in contact with the disks MUST NOT be greased ;)