370z test drive

maz77

Well to add to the topic. I took a semi-auto for a test drive as I was more than happy with Nissan's record for great manual systems.

I found the paddle shift fairly simple, or the alternate sequential shift. Didn't really notice the rev synchro as much with the auto though.

As with all other reviews though, I was left feeling disappointed with the exhaust note. In the past the majority of heads have turned at the sound first, and then left an admiring glance when seeing the Nissan's curves. This time however, you could quite stealthily sneak up on someone before they would notice you. What was still evident though was the amount of noise generated by the Potenzas, although they are now running the RE050) now (as seen on the Mercs).

That said, on the last round about at the completion of my test drive, I did have another driver pull up along side and shout nice looking motor. I guess that is where we need the thumbs up approval.

True, on returning to the 350 it did feel somewhat dated, but I truly believe it still gives me the sensation of driving a high performance car which the 370 seems to miss.

I think to truly see the difference you would need to track the car, where as the 350 can give you the "rush" as a daily drive.

Interior wise I was extremely disappointed with the roller cover and strange looking alloy bar across the centre frame.

Sure there was some compromise on space with the 350 bar, but asthetically it looked great displaying the Z logo in the rear window, and combined with a tonneau cover it was an ideal parcel shelf, which the 370 no longer has. (No where for the wifey's cardigan, hat,gloves,handbag etc etc etc.

Would I order a 370? I really am not sure. I love its' more aggressive look and I am sure over time the refinements will show. Just wish they had released it with a European market exhaust as opposed to the Californian imposed muffler system!!

True, on returning to the 350 it did feel somewhat dated, but I truly believe it still gives me the sensation of driving a high performance car which the 370 seems to miss.

I think perhaps as technology moves on, cars perhaps more about the visuality and less about the driving experience. For those of you that have been in or driven a 240/260/280z/x will understand what I mean.

Sure there was some compromise on space with the 350 bar, but asthetically it looked great displaying the Z logo in the rear window, and combined with a tonneau cover it was an ideal parcel shelf, which the 370 no longer has. (No where for the wifey's cardigan, hat,gloves,handbag etc etc etc.

That's one thing that I found really odd in the 370. Those silly storage compartments behind the seats, but no lid of any description, so if you had to brake hard things might go flying. :wacko: I think that could have been better thought out. And as you say, the glove box is very strictly for a small pair of gloves. That big hidey compartment in the 350 is fabulous.

Well to add to the topic. I took a semi-auto for a test drive as I was more than happy with Nissan's record for great manual systems.

I found the paddle shift fairly simple, or the alternate sequential shift. Didn't really notice the rev synchro as much with the auto though.

As with all other reviews though, I was left feeling disappointed with the exhaust note. In the past the majority of heads have turned at the sound first, and then left an admiring glance when seeing the Nissan's curves. This time however, you could quite stealthily sneak up on someone before they would notice you. What was still evident though was the amount of noise generated by the Potenzas, although they are now running the RE050) now (as seen on the Mercs).

That said, on the last round about at the completion of my test drive, I did have another driver pull up along side and shout nice looking motor. I guess that is where we need the thumbs up approval.

I think to truly see the difference you would need to track the car, where as the 350 can give you the "rush" as a daily drive.

Interior wise I was extremely disappointed with the roller cover and strange looking alloy bar across the centre frame.

Would I order a 370? I really am not sure. I love its' more aggressive look and I am sure over time the refinements will show. Just wish they had released it with a European market exhaust as opposed to the Californian imposed muffler system!!

I was under the impression the US spec exhaust sounded better than the European version?

I think perhaps as technology moves on, cars perhaps more about the visuality and less about the driving experience. For those of you that have been in or driven a 240/260/280z/x will understand what I mean.

I think you're bang on with this, Immy. I've driven a few so called Zed rivals over the last month or so and what struck me is that they were very fast, very refined but lacked character. The lack of refinement in a 350Z - the tingle through the gearshift, the noise, the firm ride - meant that even when I wasn't pressing on I felt I was in a sports car and that was a big part of what made every trip, however mundane, an event. The meaty control weights which were lightened up on MY06/07 cars also added to the impression - not so heavy as to be a problem but clearly not designed for town driving.

Ultimately sports cars will become faster, grippier, better built and more refined but more characterful? Perhaps not.

I think you're bang on with this, Immy. I've driven a few so called Zed rivals over the last month or so and what struck me is that they were very fast, very refined but lacked character. The lack of refinement in a 350Z - the tingle through the gearshift, the noise, the firm ride - meant that even when I wasn't pressing on I felt I was in a sports car and that was a big part of what made every trip, however mundane, an event. The meaty control weights which were lightened up on MY06/07 cars also added to the impression - not so heavy as to be a problem but clearly not designed for town driving.

Ultimately sports cars will become faster, grippier, better built and more refined but more characterful? Perhaps not.

:thumbs: Although I haven't driven some rivals recently I agree with your underlying sentiments that cars that look as though they should give a rewarding drive, I do get the impression that they are losing that appeal as more gizmos are added in the 'race' to ensure spec sheets match their rivals .

Whereas I have found the MY06 (296bhp) scores over earlier ZEDs by the control weights being lightened, in terms of the overall driving experience I have also found it slightly compromised by the torque change with the high rev engine - so overall there is little to choose between the two. But the external and internal upgrades were all moves in the plus direction, so it looks as though UK56ZED will be with me for some while :)

Got a letter throught from WLMG to come and test drive one. Going down to book it this week, just need to find some good roads around Slough now! Or see if I can take it home for the night and take it on my local twisties :drive1