First time with the polisher

edgeydt50

So after the last few years of using SRP and a few other 'products' i bit the bullet and bought the kestral DAS-6 with the sonus kit. I first started on the old micra on our drive to see how the machine worked and to get used to the speeds etc. Next job was my girlfriends 206 which she has had for about a month, i chose this as my car is silver and thought green would be an easier colour to start on. The car was a right state so i would have been impressed with any results really, although i was amazed. I went over most the car with a couple of passes of each polish/pad combination. The swirl marks have completely gone and most of the scratches too, a couple of deep ones remain but im happy with that, and she is very pleased.

Excuse me in the pictures but the other half took them while i was working. Once finished it was coated with a layer of chemical guys wet mirror finish and the car looks great.

My advice to any body thinking about buying a machine to polish their car is do it, its not as scary as its made out its very satisfying and i found it pretty enjoyable.

before

DSC01259.jpg

DSC01260.jpg

and once i got going

DSC01263.jpg

DSC01264.jpg

DSC01265.jpg

DSC01266.jpg

Chris

thanks for the tip, exactly why i practiced on a another car first. I went for the sonus kit as i read the nissan paint was soft and this was meant to be ideal. I'll be starting with a nice soft pad on the zed and taking my time, silver is a pain as im sure correction will be much harder to notice.

Chris

Another little tip (but you probably know) that when you are working close to the car make sure the power cord is over your shoulder!

Machine polishing is satisfying.

Oh and have a shot of a rotary - you will poop yourself! :scare:

Looks good mate :)

You'll be fine with a DA on the Zed, as the random orbit removes a lot of the power from it which means it cuts a lot slower than a rotary. Start with a soft pad and light cut compound and you'll be fine :)

Also as Stew and Immy said, watch that bracelet and cable. The cable on the Kestrel is quite short, but on DetailingWorld there is a chap that sells uber flexible cable by the meter. I bought 10m off him and it makes such a difference. You can run around the whole car from one power socket and nicely put it over your shoulder. Well worth it for the £10-15 it costs :thumbs:

Looks good Edgey, you'll have to show us pics when you get around to doing the Zed!

I found that a light pad and cut is all I needed and it hardly took any work at all to sort out the car. I was under the impression when I was learning that I'd need to machine polish 2-3 times a year but thats not the case. Most of the work is done applying the wax and keeping that topped up and corrected.

Looks good Edgey, you'll have to show us pics when you get around to doing the Zed!

I found that a light pad and cut is all I needed and it hardly took any work at all to sort out the car. I was under the impression when I was learning that I'd need to machine polish 2-3 times a year but thats not the case. Most of the work is done applying the wax and keeping that topped up and corrected.

You shouldnt have to machine correct it very often at all after the initial correction, using the 2BM method of washing will keep away the swirls. You can however use the machine to apply non-abrasive(ish) polish such as AG SRP every 6 months to keep it looking tip top and also use for applying wax if you like. You shouldnt do correction often, thats the key.