Aftermarket Seat / Harness etc

MrLizard

Hi guys,

as some of you might be aware the car is currently being fitted with a new seat and harness, for me these have to be FIA approved, so no cheap seat rails and harness bars etc,

The place fitting them have developed a box section that can fit into the standard seat mounts and then allow anyone to offer up any after market seat rails to them, the box section will be FIA approved though i dont suppose many people will need it to be, almost any seat with rails should work on this.

Also, the harness mounting point, they are looking at developing something to be welded onto the frame where the speaker box is, although i dont have any interior you could put the plastics back over it and just have the eyelets showing, again FIA approved...

I suspect the price will be reasonable and i will get photo's when i can, if people could let me know if they would be interested, the company is based in the midlands.

All of this has been stress tested as it has to be, using quality materials, so if your only alternative is buddyclub seat mounts and a cusco harness bar for about £500/600 let me know if there is enough interest i suspect you could more than half that price.

As an aside.

I wouldn't personally recommend racing seats/harnesses to anyone that doesn't have a bare minimum 6 point cage in their car. The factory seats and belts while not the best for race track use, will allow your back to flex under side loads, and will allow the seat/human to bend out of the way if the impact happens to allow something to enter the cabin. A proper race seat and harness holds you in a rigid position and will break your body rather than allowing you to flex out of the way.

Also to note, I wouldn't have a cage in the car if I wasn't planning on wearing a helmet, hitting yourself in the head with a large metal tube at 60mph causes your brain to sit on the outside of your skull. So no cage or harness/seat on a car thats driven on the street.

If you add a harness bar, and have seat brackets welded into place so you can use this setup, what happens when a car hits you from the side? You're held in place and used as a blockade, you will not fare well. If you're in the stock seat and stock belt you may be severely injured if this happens but you have a good chance of surviving as the parts of the car where the seat and belts are bolted to will flex out of the way and help push you way from the point of impact.