UTEC from TurboXS: UK distributor

Removed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience
For N/A it all seems like a lot of effort for little gain. :dry:

That may be true - but a parallel EMS is the ONLY way you will extract ANY top-end gains with this car.

Mid-range, plenum, yes due to more optimal fuel/air mix flow, but in general NO.

To be fair, the UTEC is more squarely aimed at FI options in terms of cost/benefit

Depending on feedback from various sensors on the engine, it will change maps for example, if knock is detected, air temp changes etc.

The UTEC takes over on closed loop running (WOT). One thing to note, is that the UTEC does completely take over from the standard ECU (i.e. the map programmed wont change like the factory unit, so you always have the same performance) the UTEC does have knock control, so if your running your 'aggressive' map and the knock sensors detect any knock then it will retard timing accordingly.

Guest prescience
Depending on feedback from various sensors on the engine, it will change maps for example, if knock is detected, air temp changes etc.

The UTEC takes over on closed loop running (WOT). One thing to note, is that the UTEC does completely take over from the standard ECU (i.e. the map programmed wont change like the factory unit, so you always have the same performance) the UTEC does have knock control, so if your running your 'aggressive' map and the knock sensors detect any knock then it will retard timing accordingly.

Bap, I don't think it changes maps on the fly does it? Maps are generally changed via a remote switch, or if not included (it being optional) at the unit itself

I think what it does do, when it detects knock, is to reduce timing advance to remove knock and then progressively re-instate that timing advance to optimal just-before-knock value (all this is user controllable during set-up). The stock ECU certainly does switch from the normal map to a retarded map when knock is detected - which is a very gross adjustment by comparison since a lot of timing is pulled.

The UTEC takes over in open loop running towards WOT - at less than say 40-50% WOT** the ECU is in closed loop using feedback from the O2 sensors to control the AFR

** This RPM value is specified via UTEC set-up parameters