Bi Xenon converted car

ollyd

I have just got a 2003 UK spec GT. Noticed I was getting no hi beam on investigating realised the lights have been upgraded to bi xenon but the high beam bulbs just glows rather than firing up properly. I suspect the previous owner may have simply connected the ballast from the single HID unit to the normal beam and not fitted a second ballast. Does anyone know if this sounds at all likely or is this possibly caused by something else?

Any advise on the matter would be appreciated as currently have no hi beam :wacko: I realise I will prob have to remove bumper to do any work on them.

Hi there. I am unsure on how a bi Xenon kit would work on the older style lights. The newer style light have a tilting mechenism in them to allowthe high beam function to work but the older style didn't. So us there a space in the headlight where the high beam bulb should be ?

Paul

I have just got a 2003 UK spec GT. Noticed I was getting no hi beam on investigating realised the lights have been upgraded to bi xenon but the high beam bulbs just glows rather than firing up properly. I suspect the previous owner may have simply connected the ballast from the single HID unit to the normal beam and not fitted a second ballast. Does anyone know if this sounds at all likely or is this possibly caused by something else?

Any advise on the matter would be appreciated as currently have no hi beam :wacko: I realise I will prob have to remove bumper to do any work on them.

Hi mate, i have been there :blush: i did this conversion and it works but is impractical as i will explain.

i left the oem xenon unchanged but converted the H7 high beam light with a 6000k kit complete with ballast, xenon bulbs and loom and it was a straight forward conversion.

However because you ususally flash on and off you headlight it never gets up to temp and hence the poor light. unless you put it on and drive, blinding everyone in your path it will be useless. Secondly the xenon bulbs longevity will be markedly reduced with this kind of usage.

The only solution is to buy the 06+ bi-xenon light set which is not cheap. there is a single xenon bulb which has a shutter operated by a solenoid that allows or prevents more light through producing you dipped or high beam :thumbs:

My solution was to get 7500K rated 80W H7 bulbs and replace oem ones and it looks like xenons and very bright. they are not for road use apparently :blush: As LED conversion of the parking lights completes the look B)

• 3 months later...