How soon can you drive a car after an operation.

Mark-UK

Had a knee clean up on Tuersday under general in the hospital, day procedure, nurse told me i cant drive for 3 days or summat as I won be insured, is this right, my poor zed is feeling left out since I bought it and its staring at me saying come on lets go!!

I had varicose vein surgery on my leg(getting old you know) at the end of May, wasn't allowed to drive Zed for 3 WEEKS. Again was told it was for insurance purposes. Kept looking out of window at it just sitting on the drive. Heart breaking. 3 days will fly by. Bear with it, it's better to be safe than sorry.

i've had two knee surgeries now and no way would I have been able to drive after 3 days. For me more so because it's my clutch leg and I just didn't have the strength in it to depress the clutch. You need to be able to do a full on emergency stop before you can drive. Don't rush it.

Surely rather than asking us, wouldn't it be better to phone said insurance company and find out? Even if you don't identify yourself etc.

Or does your insurance company website have terms and conditions etc, or your policy?

Insurance is almost irrelevant here, it's more about simple common sense. If you've just had some kind of operation, especially on your legs or arms, then the last thing you should be doing is getting behind the wheel of a 1.5 ton lump of metal and driving at speeds of up to 70mph in it. That's just dangerous to other road users and pedestrians, never mind yourself.

You may think you're fine, but I'm willing to bet the doctor/surgeon knows better and wouldn't have recommended a minimum period you shouldn't drive for without good reason. If you have an accident, your fault or not, who do you think is going to get called as an expert witness is court? And how do you think that's going to look?

Two issues here:

1) General Anaesthetic. Never heard of not being able to drive for 3 days because of a GA. However if this is what you have been told you must do as they say.

2)Knee Op. As mentioned earlier by other members, you may not be able to control the footpedals properly. It takes time to get total movement back, especially when trying to do an emergency brake.

You need to be happy that you can control a car before you drive again. This may take considerably more than 3 days. If you are in any doubt DO NOT DRIVE.

If you need any advice on this be sure to speak with your GP. Better safe than sorry. :thumbs: