How strong should the handbrake be?

zDan

Hi all

I've noticed may other members here complaining about the handbrake on their Z... mine is quite weak too, just curious how strong should a normal handbrake be? On a regular pull mine won't hold the car on any kind of incline. If I pull hard all the way, it will hold on something up to 5%, say? Anything more is out of the question... I'm a bit worried about this obviously... I had to do a stop on a 20% climb once, and let me tell you, moving off without a proper handbrake on that incline was not fun. :scare:

Does the handbrake adjusting procedure (listed here somewhere) help much with this?

Annual proper adjustment is key. :thumbs:

Preferably just before MOT time. :)

+1 - Dan Perkins do mine every service it seems which is twice a year at the moment. Always works just fine. Not as well as some other cars I've had but it certainly holds it without excessive force. Still leave it in gear though!

never had no probs with mine, only thing i do notice is that say on a hill, when i pull it up, locked, then once i let go of the foot brake, there is a faint bit of movement then its as if it grabs it, and its all good, first time this happened, tried pulling away with it up to see how strong it was, and was good enough for me :thumbs:

My handbrake is pretty weak too ...

If I don't pull it up as far as possible then the car will start rolling ...

Can this be adjusted?

It's really started to annoy me recently to the point where I've even dreamt about it ... In the dream I park the car up and use the handbrake thinking it's all ok ... then when i get out and start walking off ... the car starts to roll back and scrapes a wall along one side ... LoL

You can imagine my relief when I woke up!

Yes it can be adjusted. Dont think its very hard, but does require the rear to be lifted up. I think its in the service manual. There are 2 adjustment points, one on the rear wheel(s?) and one in the centre arm rest. Someone better than me will describe the method, but be careful not to over tighten it as you dont want it slightly rubbing all the time even when its off!