Clicking Axle-Fault at manufacture-any Proof?

rtbiscuit

Do you have or have you had the clicky rear axle issue  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have or have you had the clicky rear axle issue

• Yes and Nissan sorted it for me.
    • Yes and I sorted it myself.
    • Yes and I still have it.
    • No, I am lucky.

As some of you may be aware i've suffered the clicking axle problem

to give you the short version:- it basically happened during warranty, but was only picked up 3 weeks outside of my warranty. i've emailed twice, phoned 6 times and written 1 letter to Nissan GB, but basically their final word on the matter was " you bought from a third party, it was serviced before i bought it by a third party so i'm not classed as a loyal nissan customer and therefore I'm not eligible for nissan good will gestures"

well this has kind of wound me up as i'm fairly certain that the clicking axle problem is a fault at manufacture thats why they brought out the revised parts and they even know which factory the fault came from depending on if tits the bolts or the CV joint.

well nissan in their last letter said if i'm not happy to take it up with the motor industry code of conduct (kind of like ofcom for the motor world) i've decided that i don't like being fobbed off and that it is there problem to fix. if it was a ware and tear issue i would understand and replace myself but this isn't.

so i rang them up, and they said that if i could provide proof that it was a fault at manufacture they might be able to follow up on it and sort something out.

so what i'm looking for is do we have any proof? can a nissan mechanic write a statement, provide a memo, something that would give me solid evidence of an issue at manufacture.

also anyone else who might be suffering a similar problem to add names and we could send several in at the same time to kind of reinforce the fact that it should be done at nissan cost, not customer cost.

vive la revolution!!! r at least a final conclusion to the issue as there is no where else to take it after this :blush:

The fact it happens to a VAST number of the cars is evidence in itself that the fault is due to something during manufacture, otherwise it wouldnt be so widespread.

The fact they have a TSB for it is evidence enough that it is a common fault, revising the parts so that they no longer suffer this issue hoists them by their own petard as far as it not being a manufacture fault.

If its just a matter of writing letters, including a copy of the TSB, and pointing to how widespread the issue is (perhaps a search for the word "clicky" on 350z forums around the world), then I would take it up with the motor industry, as I am sure Nissan will have to respond to any customer complaint raised by them.

Eventually it will have cost more in Nissans time responding to your complaints and any questions posed by the watchdog, than it would to replace the parts - whos the mug then?

The fact it happens to a VAST number of the cars is evidence in itself that the fault is due to something during manufacture, otherwise it wouldnt be so widespread.

The fact they have a TSB for it is evidence enough that it is a common fault, revising the parts so that they no longer suffer this issue hoists them by their own petard as far as it not being a manufacture fault.

If its just a matter of writing letters, including a copy of the TSB, and pointing to how widespread the issue is (perhaps a search for the word "clicky" on 350z forums around the world), then I would take it up with the motor industry, as I am sure Nissan will have to respond to any customer complaint raised by them.

Eventually it will have cost more in Nissans time responding to your complaints and any questions posed by the watchdog, than it would to replace the parts - whos the mug then?

all good and valid points and i completely agree, but the lady at the centre said that nissan, as will other manufacturers disregard anything to do with forums as they say "it could be written by anyone" they have said they can recommend a suitable centre to check the part over to make a diagnosis on the part and give a definitive answer on if the part is faulty at manufacture. but I'm dubious about paying someone to tell me something i already know with out the guarantee that nissan will pay up at the end of it.

do we have any nissan mechanics who post on here?

No Nissan mechanic with any common sense is ever going to write a letter like that. They'd soon fail to be a Nissan mechanic if they did.

You've got two options really Rich, neither particularly great. Either suck up the cost of getting it fixed yourself, or go through the industry watchdog and wait for about 2 years until they sort it out with Nissan direct. If it were me I'd do the former to save the politics and just write it into the cost of owning the car, but then I can't stand anything political and would start getting the hump if I did the latter! :lol:

all good and valid points and i completely agree, but the lady at the centre said that nissan, as will other manufacturers disregard anything to do with forums as they say "it could be written by anyone" they have said they can recommend a suitable centre to check the part over to make a diagnosis on the part and give a definitive answer on if the part is faulty at manufacture. but I'm dubious about paying someone to tell me something i already know with out the guarantee that nissan will pay up at the end of it.

Quote the Nissan Internal TSB number at them. Then it becomes an internal matter :thumbs:

The TSB's arent written by "anyone" - they are their own bulletins issued to Dealerships to advise on how to fix common problems. It shows that the issue you are complaiing about is common knowledge within Nissan and certainly something that has been fixed for many people.

The lady whom you spoke to may have the opinion that what is written on a forum could be "written by anybody".

I am sure the sales director of Nissan is well aware, or at least should be, that anything written on a web forum could also be read by anybody, including people who may be about to consider the purchase of a new vehicle, but are getting real customer perceptions before making the decision...

No Nissan mechanic with any common sense is ever going to write a letter like that. They'd soon fail to be a Nissan mechanic if they did.

You've got two options really Rich, neither particularly great. Either suck up the cost of getting it fixed yourself, or go through the industry watchdog and wait for about 2 years until they sort it out with Nissan direct. If it were me I'd do the former to save the politics and just write it into the cost of owning the car, but then I can't stand anything political and would start getting the hump if I did the latter! :lol:

i know what you mean, but while the cost of sending an email and a stamp are inexpensive i thought i would be a nusanse to nissan for a bit, probably won't get very far, but i don't like being treated like i'm stupid or insignificant. and nissan have done both. they tried to fob me off with it not being their fault and they have tried to make me feel insignificant by basically saying we're big, we say no,m there is nothing you can do.

at the end of the day, i have a re grease kit on stand by with ZmanAlex but i just wanted to see how far i could push this.

i wouldn't expect a nissan mechanic to openly condemn their own employer its the old biting the hand that feeds you situation. but maybe they could quitely pm me details or confidential memos :lol:

If they want a line of 350z turning up at Nissan UK and clicking like hell that can be arranged.

there can't be that many 350z's in the country, they are no where near as common as the TT, i don't know how many members we have on here, but i'd be interested to know of the amount of people on here who has suffered from rear clicking syndrome. if i have all the numbers i could work out a national average.

OK you asked. I have the click. :thumbs:

350Z = 6395

Roadster = 1128

is that the UK figures i'm guessing not the amount on the forum :blush:

so how many do we have on the forum out of interest,

and whats the likelihood of linking the other forum to it as the more we have the better, or even if someone wants to run a mirror thread on the other site to save hassle and posting issues.

also how do i run a poll on this thread to find out how many people have had/do have/don't have a clicking axle problem.

when i was with the new civic honda club, they were well linked with honda uk and regularly ran consumer surveys etc on the cars for honda and gave them feedback, we even used to get honda posts or memos commenting on any issues we had picked up, and what if anything they planned to do.