BOSE Sub Replacement in rear cubby?

M5Sime

Hi there,

I noted a few threads on putting subs into the space under the rear strut bar, but what about re-using the space in the rear, where the BOSE Sub was...?

Surely you can get an 8" or something in there?

The US guys seem to have had a go..

Cheers

Simon

10" sub will fit in the cubby, depending on which brand you may need to make up a spacer in MDF also best to Dynamat the aluminium frame and depending on what sub use some insulation in the space.

There is a co in the states that do a box to fit in the space out of fibreglass that tips the sub so it points up rather than at your back... Something I am looking to do!

Thanks

The BOSE unit looks very weedy in the pictures and this must be the best location for stealth and some decent extra quality bass. The smaller the enclosure of course the better the quality/source of power needed to drive it.

Interested to know of the fibre glass company

Cheers

Simon

There are two options when using the standard space..

1) Build a box to fit the space - there are a few people in the US who sell these type of boxes

2) Use the stock sub frame etc

If you use option 2 make note the following

* Make sure you seal up the space properly. It is no-where near a sealed area. There are holes all over it. If you just put a normal sub into the hole it would sound rubbish.

*Bear in mind that if you just seal it up using something like Dynamat you are left with quite a large area i.e. 2 cuft+ depending on the sub this might be way too much for a a sealed box for it

*You would also probably have to build a MDF spacer to put on the metal frame - this is not as simple as it sounds for a 10" as there is hardly any contact area on some areas of the rim of the hole so you have to make sure your spacer is 100% sealed to the frame

*Watch out for the size of the frame of the sub if you go for a 10". If you get something with a wide casket you will have to angle the sub to be more 90 to the road otherwise it will hit the metal on the base of the hole in the box.

THink that covers it. And yes I have got a sub in there. Not very happy with it at the mo but think thats cause its an old crappy sub. Looking to get a better Hertz one in there soon as finances allow (or I can find an old Orion H2 as I love those)

So how about a nice little 8" in a sealed enclosure? Surely this could be made to work. A 10 is a nice to have, but then its all about spl and natural ability to drop. A well made 8 should be more than enough for audiophile use with a good source of current to get the excursion....

Just a thought

Cheers

Simon

Or glass fibre enclosures

A 10" Genesis or JL Audio sub in a sealed enclosure under the strut brace (available from 'zenclosures', a US eBay seller) is a MUCH better option in my opinion. Only cost me £144 for the enclosure including delivery and customs/import duty. I was steered away from putting a better sub in the stock location by several people, including my ICE installer, and am VERY happy I did! The standard Bose sub was taken out and the amp was installed in its place, thus still leaving the other glovebox (behind passenger seat) free for storage of other things you want/need to keep in the car.

More details (and photos) can be seen by clicking the link below :)

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23973

Anyone shipped one of these over?

http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php?pr ... t=8&page=1

No, but I bought a set of their door pods trimmed in vinyl recently. The shipping was quick but way over the odds so I'd try to negotiate that first. I got one of those strut bar boxes from SonixEnclosures and the shipping for that was less than the door pods from WickedCAS! Didn't really have a choice though as there's no way my CDT ES62i components would fit in the doors. :surrender:

The shipping charges were automatically added by his web site so I'd try emailing them or PM'ing WickedCAS through the US 350 forums (he seems to have a big presence there) and he might be able to do you a better shipping quote.

The quality of the pods was pretty good. The fit is ok and the vinyl matches the interior fairly well. I'm tempted to get them properly retrimmed in in leather to match the seats at some point though. I did have to use some chemical metal to fix the fibreglass in a few places. I had to pull the vinyl off and modify them anyway though as the ES62i mid bass drivers were still a tad to large to fit in the pods properly! :scare: If I hadn't had to do that I'd would have left them as they came.

• 3 weeks later...

If going for a sealed design as the most typical, then given the tight space, does this need to be a very special glass fibre creation or can it be made from mdf etc??

I saw some comments on getting the face angle of the sub right etc. Also comments that someone makes a glassfibre enclosure?

I would have thought this would be the best compromise, rather than the infinite baffle design

Cheers

Simon

So it seems that most have not been able to make the stealth install deliver that well? Even the US guys??

I can see that a larger enclosure under the strut brace is going to be better, but space is space !

I am sure a cheeky 8 or poss 10 with some quality amplification is going to work 1 ft away from you..?

Cheers

Sime

So it seems that most have not been able to make the stealth install deliver that well? Even the US guys??

I can see that a larger enclosure under the strut brace is going to be better, but space is space !

I am sure a cheeky 8 or poss 10 with some quality amplification is going to work 1 ft away from you..?

Cheers

Sime

If you dont put it in a box it will be running IB mode so you have to be careful of the power you give it. Also it might be really boomy as IB sounds like that. Why not run older kicker (round) solobaric 8". They can be made to work in 0.3cuft.