Smelly Air Conditioning Solved?

narcotix

Hey all,

Has anyone had any experience with this type of product before:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=400049109281

My AC has a slight smell to it and I was advised that it was probably due to bacteria in the AC air filters ... I thought it was worth a try for £7 delivered anyway so will keep you posted with the results..

Guys,

before you buy anything try running the air con at full blast on full heat with the car idling for around 5-10 mins - this usually burns out the bacteria and the smell will go away. Its a massive issue on renault cars and this solves it everytime.

Give it a try at least its free.

If you do use the spray or bomb, you drop it in the passenger footwell and run the air con on recirc so it gets sucked through the system

hope this helps

P

Hmmm.... I somehow dont think that the heating could get to such a high temp to burn bacteria!!! If you had flames coming out of the vents maybe!!! :scare:

There is another version being discussed on the other site that costs £2.99 that is supposed to be like the Comma one. Waiting for feedback on its usage...

Easy way is to use your AC all the time (unless you want a bit more power!!) , AC dosnt mean that its cold its air conditioning! and dont recirc use it so the air comes from outside and you wont have smelly vents!

Hey all,

Has anyone had any experience with this type of product before:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=400049109281

My AC has a slight smell to it and I was advised that it was probably due to bacteria in the AC air filters ... I thought it was worth a try for £7 delivered anyway so will keep you posted with the results..

It looks very similar to the Comma product which a few of us have used successfully.

I've heard high heat for 10 mins can do the trick. Its not killing it, but removing the moisture in the air that the bacteria breeds on that stops it. Comma also works from what I've heard. Or just run your aircon on all the time like Mark says, thats what I do and never have a smell.

i found tha kleen air thing for around £3 at a local store, found it did make an improvement for a few days then went back to normal. as for the footwell... i puut the passenger seat as far back as i could and left it in front of it, made a mess of the windscreen and dash lol but it wipes off easily. gonna try the hot air for 10mins see if that works but should we consider getting the AC re-gassed?

Thanks alot for your suggestions guys ...

I don't like the idea of the Kleen Air product leaving a mess on my dash and windscreen ... I might just cover the surrounding area with some cloth to minimise the cleaning effort afterwards ...

I've decided I'll give the Kleen Air thing a go and if all else fails I'm gonna try washing more often ... but that's only as a last resort LoL ...

Coming down the M4 to Newbury this morning I happened to see a lady in the middle lane (Doing 42mph with no one in the inside lane ) when passing I realised she was wearing one of the pig flu masks.... Am guessing that she needs one of these as here aircon must have stank!!!

One of the guys that just tried the other one put it behind the passanger seat and all was ok...

Though I'd give you guys an update ...

I used the Kleen Air can placing by it in the passenger footwell with the seat all the way back ... It's doesn't half make a mess of your dash and windscreen with all the liquid residue ... but it does wipe straight off once complete with out leaving any marks ...

I think overall it was worth it ... the smell of the spray has not worn off which is a good thing as it was a bit too citrusy for my liking ...