Minor Misfire & Hissing Fuel Pump

St3v50z

Alright, i have my first minor issue with the Z, and i think i know what it is, but would like to throw it out there incase anyone has other ideas. Basically the car has become slow & hesitant between 1-3krpm, especially if ur in 4/5/6 gear at 30mph, and you put your foot to the floor, it bogs right down, not alot happens at all, and it feels hesitant when it does try to pick up. It didnt used to be like this. Higher up in the rev range seems to be fine though, or under WOT, that is fine aswell.

From doing a little research on this forum, am i right in thinking this could be an igntion coil issue? If so, is there anyway of telling which one, or should i just replace all 6 at a huge cost lol? Are they known for going on this engine? I have also got some new Iridium NGK plugs on the way from the US, as i dont think they have ever been replaced! (on 59k miles atm). Maybe i should just change the plugs and see if that fixes it?

On a side note, i have also now noticed that the fuel pump seems to be alot noiser than it used to be, i dont know if this is related? But when on idle and stationary, i can really hear it hissing from under the drivers side towards the rear. It's not always a constant hiss either, sometimes it stops, then carries on again, quite annoying actually. Is this a sign of the fuel pump on its way out?

All feedback appreciated, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Im know expert but if I was you id source and OBD-II reader from somewhere and see if there are any misfire codes reported if so you can normally identify the cylinder thats giving trouble, but try changing the plugs first as the coil packs shouldnt really fail. Does it misfire when Idling?

The fuel pump noise, have you got petrol in the car to start with ;) Could try changing the filter before the oump, it may be a bit clogged up and causing pressure to build in the pipes/pump

As Darren-B has said, but any further long distance attempts at diagnoses would be purely a hypothesis.

I have new plugs and preowned coil packs available if required. :thumbs:

Good luck with your issue and I hope it is not to much of an expensive fix.

Alex

Basically the car has become slow & hesitant between 1-3krpm, especially if ur in 4/5/6 gear at 30mph, and you put your foot to the floor, it bogs right down, not alot happens at all

See, mine does this, and so do all my cars that I've ever owned. No way should you even contemplate being in 6th gear at 30mph, and even 4th is pushing it. That's very bad for the engine as you're putting a monumental amount of stress on it, so I'd stop doing that for a start.

Not trying to be funny or anything, but are you sure that there's any issue here? Maybe you're just noticing the fuel pump more, and this has now led you to think there's something wrong so you're trying to find fault where one doesn't exist? Dunno, just throwing an idea out there.

No, it doesnt misfire on idle, at least, i dont think it does, i havent noticed anyway. The only other things i can add to this which might help, is that i ran test pipes for a week (last week), but i had the cats put back on because i didnt like the extra noise, also it threw an 02 sensor code on both banks, which i wasnt happy about. So we plugged my car into my freinds OBD-II reader and wiped the codes off. It is only since then that this minor hesitancy has started. No codes have appeared since putting the cats back on though, and i havent tried plugging it in since the misfire, so i will do that today.

Erm, with regards to the fuel pump, i have no idea what the previous owner used to run the car on, but sinc ei bought it afew weks back, i have only used V-Power. Also i did run it quite low the other day, down to about 30miles left, and this was when i noticed the hesitancy low down, ithought it might have been too low on fuel and sucking @*!# up of the tank floor, could this be possible?

It's not impossible, put it that way.

Given that the test pipes would have made for easier gas flow at low RPM, I'm inclined to think you're a bit of a loony and this is all in your mind ;) I only say that as going back to a catted system will feel different, and I think you may well have gotten used to how the car drove with the pipes in place and you're simply readjusting now. Chuck a bottle of fuel system cleaner in your next half-tank and see if that improves matters.

Ok mate, will do. I am a paranoid bastard sometimes! lol. So maybe it is just me, but i will try afew things anyway, as i like things to be perfect as much as possible! I come from an extensive Honda background, and im not used to things going wrong or not running right lol. I'll get some injector and fuel system cleaner on my way to my mates and chuck it in, ive got just under half a tank of fuel atm.

I remember when i changed the fuel filter on my '99 Prelude, i did it out of interest, not because i thought it needed doing, but my god, what a difference it made, car was on 70k and it had never been changed. Straight away the car felt smoother in the lower rpms, especially on cold, it was like night and day! So maybe that is something i should look into if all else fails.

Right, well i checked the car using my freinds OBD-II scanner, and it wasnt showing any codes of any sorts after a diagnostic run, and tbh, i dont think it is a misfire now, more than likely just me being paranoid since having the cats re-fitted....? I have stuck some STP fuel system cleaner and injector cleaner through it, so i will see how that goes.

If you haven't already done so, have you had the car serviced? Otherwise changing the spark plugs and air filter will be worthwhile . Another thing a few of us have done is clean the throttle housing. It does get a bit dirty inside and if you take it off you can give it a clean both sides, but do not move the butterfly valve as it could render the throttle useless. Although i moved mine more than once and it still worked. When i cleaned mine it improved idling, and throttle response seemed better too. Overall well worth doing.