Nightmare - or was it?

Maccaman

Had what I thought was a nightmare moment. Driving to work this morning & just entering Penkridge, where I work, there was a really loud metallic bang. :scare: Seemed to come from the near side of the car and all I could think of was my bodywork. :scare: Now this bang was over the noise of the car at 40mph & the radio. Pulled over about 100 yards further on to assess the damage and couldn't find any. Drove the last bit to work & looked at every part of the bodywork that I could and still no dents, big chips or anything. Can only describe the sound like somebody slapping a piece of sheet metal & the only conclusion I could come up with is that a bird flew into the side of the car. As you can imagine I am delighted not to have any damage but also totally perplexed at what it could have been.

Had similar thing happen to me a few years back. Heard massive bang, stopped car, had a look around, couldn't find or see anything. Wasn't until i put car in for MOT that they found that one of the front springs had snapped where it seats at the bottom of the spring. Had been driving car like this for a few months and didn't notice any difference in ride quality. Might be worth having a closer look.

metal nut/bolt you drove over, flew off from the front wheels at a dodgy angle and impacted with a metal surface from the underside of the car maybe?

That's the weird thing, it was definitely not that type of sound. It was from the nearside part of the car & that loud that I actually flinched away from it. :blush:

I had a similar noise once 2yrs ago.

Driving at 40mph and saw bunch of yoofs throw something at me...........BANG :scare:

Saw them run off laughing, pulled over ASAP but they were long gone.

Inspected the door expecting my heart to sink :headhurt: but luckily all I could see was a wet patch.

Must have been a ater bomb

However, I too have had a spring sap on my old car.

Was normal driving taking a corner at a lowly 15mph, no idea how these things happen :wacko: