How to - Replace rear Brembo brake pads

stanski

(Updated 2012 - sorry but looks like my picture share site went bust and have lost my pics! - Have reloaded the guide pictures here for you) :thumbs:

Doh! excuse the picture order is back to front - you will suss it , any questions please PM me.

Hello folks

Everyone keeps saying how easy it is to replace the rear pads on Brembos well I couldn't find specific guide /pictures for doing this (or just rubbish at searching the forum) so decided to do my own a simple guide with lots of pictures.

Hope it will be of use. :)

Thanks to ireynolds for advice as he did these the other week. :thumbs:

Please note - if you have never done brakes or are not confident doing this please seek expert advice /help - we dont want any 350Z's in ditches due to sloppy brakes do we!

Be careful and take your time rememeber its only a bit of rubber and these brakes stopping you from an early appointment with God!

The pictures follow the sequence but here is a summary and extra info.

What you will need:

New set of pads (I got boggo Mintex from Brakes International)

Copper grease

Few rags

Latex gloves

2x small screwdrivers

Pliers

WD-40 can or similar

Few blocks of wood

Axle stand

1. Park up on firm level ground.

2. Chock the wheels on the opposite side you are working on with blocks (Do one side at a time)

3. Handbrake on and put in 1st gear

4. Wrap some electrical insulation tape or similar around the wheel nuts - to stop it scratching the wheel

5. Loosen the wheel nuts a little

6. Jack up the rear side of the car using the proper jack in the correct location on the sills as shown in your handbook or sticker on the jack.

7. Place axle stand with a small block of wood on top of it - under the rear spring mount (cupped piece)

8. Lower the car onto the stand gently

9. Remove the wheel

10.Release the handbrake gently (be careful and watch if car starts to move at all).

11.Open the bonnet, pop open the brake master cyclinder cover and undo the cap on the cylinder. Put a rag (old socks are good!) around it and put the top back on.

12.Return to wheel hub. Place cardboard on the edge and use a screwdriver to prise the clips out that hold the pins.

13.Slide out the pins one at a time and make sure the big spring that presses the pads down doesn't fly off somewhere.

14.Remove the inner pads first - push them back against the cylinder to free them.

15.Remove the stainless backing plate, clean with WD-40, smear with some copper grease and stick to the new pad. Grease back of new pad also leading and following edge - DO NOT get any grease on the lining.

16.Slide the new pad back in again.

17.Pull the outer pads towards you against the cylinder to push it back same as the inner. Clean the stainless plate and grease as before. Notice the direction of the arrow on the plate (towards the ground)

18.Refit the outer pads.

19.Clean and grease the pins and small locking clips and the big spring that locks under the pins.

20.Refit the pins one at a time, you may need to push the spring down a little to help it slide in.

21.Ensure the pins have the hole facing up (outwards) as you need to refit the locking clips into them.

22.Smear with a little copper grease.

23.If your really sad like me - apply some Poorboys wheel wax to the Brembo cylinder to keep it cleaner for longer.

24.Last check everything is back in position.Refit the wheel and wheel nuts hand tight only.

25.Apply hand brake -Jack up the car - remove Axle stand, lower car. Tighten wheel nuts properly - recheck after 200 miles.

26.Repeat on the opposite wheel.

26.Remove rag around Brake Master Cylinder and screw cap back on securely.Close the cover and shut bonnet.

27.Dab the brakes 2-3 time quite hard this should reset the pads against the discs. Thats it - you just saved a fortune on garage bills!

Note the pictures have been moved round to make it easy to see the innards.

start.jpg

pin-1.jpg

pads-refitted.jpg

Outer-pads-3.jpg

Outer-pads-2.jpg

Outer-pads-1.jpg

nuts.jpg

inner-pads-refitted.jpg

inner-pads-2.jpg

inner-pads.jpg

clip2.jpg

clip1.jpg

brake-fluid-2.jpg

brake-fluid-1.jpg

before-removal.jpg

thanks gents :)

Nice guide - Althought one step missed off.

While wheel is off get some brake/alloy cleaner and give the brake caliper a nice good clean :)

Yes well spotted matey - I was in a hurry so I just gave it a quite wipe round with my oily rag (sock!) ;)

• 2 years later...

completely off topic, but ur engine cover, where can you get the top part? or is that a newer 350z thing?

It's a newer Zed thing :)

It's the engine cover the newer HR engine has

ah okay :) looks pretty funky. ill just get my old rusty plenum polished i guess :lol: