Track Insurance.

N1SM0350z

There have been a couple of topics where people have been on track and I was curious as to weather or not you guys bought track day insurance. Interested as im doing a road trip in the summer and would be good to get on the 'ring but im not sure as to how track insurance works.

Cheers :thumbs:

Dont think you can get track insurance for the Ring as its not a track, its a public toll road techincally. But many insurers state that its not covered by there insurance too :headhurt:

I dont think most people bother with track insurance as the excess is so high. Its helpful if you write off the car though! My mate Ben (MAD7BOY on here) has some kind of insurance where they add the track portion for a little bit each time.

Personally I wouldn't dream of going near the Ring unless I'd been on at least an airfield day first, to at least give you some idea of what it will be like in a far more controlled environment. A couple of trackdays would be a lot better, but I see that as the minimum. Bear in mind there is practically zero run-off on the Ring, and it might not necessarily be your fault if you hit the (very expensive) armco if some dipshit comes flying out of a corner and taps you... At least if you have some track experience you'll know roughly where you should be and how others will drive, and where you should be looking apart from the obvious answer of everywhere.

That said, it's a proper experience and every driving enthusiast should do it once in their life. :thumbs:

I've done 2 track days and bought insurance both times. In my opinion its well worth it as you insure a figure not the car if that makes sense. I insured my car for £17k and i know thats more than the market value but if i had a crash i had to pay a 10% excess and then the rest was paid by them.

In my opinion it just offers a piece of mind that if the worst happens your covered.

I believe the ring isn't covered by most people tho.

Jim

You need to be driving like a complete arse to do more than £1.7K worth of damage to your car though IMHO, so unless you are driving like that then you're never going to get the benefit of the insurance. And if you are driving like that, don't expect to stay on track for very long ;)

Tbh I'd quite like to see track insurance made mandatory, even if it's only for 3rd party cover. That's what you really want, as then as long as you're driving okay you've got nothing to worry about.