Running Costs on the 350Z

euphoria

Hi guys,

I am on the look out for a 350z, the only thing holding me back is the thought of high running costs! I currently drive a Honda civic type R (EP3) i have looked at insurance and its not much different to what im paying now, i get around 20mpg on average town driving at the moment, i also get through around a lt of oil every 2k miles.

Has anyone had a civic type R before and moved to a 350z? if so what are the running costs like? Being a 3.5lt is it more expensive on fuel? Average service costs? How reliable are they?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Euphoria

Hi guys,

I am on the look out for a 350z, the only thing holding me back is the thought of high running costs! I currently drive a Honda civic type R (EP3) i have looked at insurance and its not much different to what im paying now, i get around 20mpg on average town driving at the moment, i also get through around a lt of oil every 2k miles.

Has anyone had a civic type R before and moved to a 350z? if so what are the running costs like? Being a 3.5lt is it more expensive on fuel? Average service costs? How reliable are they?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Euphoria

There's a few of us on here that have moved from the EP3 and to be honest there is not much difference, the insurance is about the same as is the servicing the only difference is the fuel costs, it costs about £20-£25 more to fill the Z up but you will get an extra 100 miles more than in the EP3. I drive 50 miles a day to work and back and have been averaging 20.8mpg but some of that journey is on a dual carridge way.

Welcome :)

Biggest drawback is hiding the :teeth::teeth: Having driven a large number of performance cars in the past, none matches the driving experience of the ZED and most of us find it is very reliable so costs are easily managed.

If you are looking to get one that has no manufacturers warranty best avoid Nissan garages and the high charges they normally want, especially for parts ;)

ctr used to get 28-30mpg

350z 23-25mpg

not much difference otherwise, rubber is a bit more pricey but then again the ctr used to shred the fronts where as i find the Z great on tyres.

Make the move, its a great step up! :thumbs:

:) Hi Mate,

As you can see from my signature, I have come from CTR ownership of 3 and a half years!

The Z is a reliable car if it is looked after ie regular servicng and oil changes, although choose your garage or stealership very wisely, prices vary, some charge more than others, some give a forum discount, pretty much a shop around for a good deal.

Parts are expensive, so check the forum, there are a few good traders Like CS, Envy Performance who may be able to help sourcing bits and bobs. Performance parts are roughly double what it costs for the CTR, like Nismo.

If you drive sensibly, then you wont really notice the petrol consumption that much different from the CTR, but drive like you stole it, and you`ll be in filling up often!

I miss my CTR very much, but the Z is my coming of age and a more grown up drive, which Im sure I will enjoy more and more each day!!

By the way, did you belong to civic type-r.co.uk? What was your forum name, and did you ever attend my BLUEWATER MEETS?

Jerry :thumbs:

Thank you for the advise all, im seriously considering now!

Jerry - Yes i was part of the civic forum, same user name as here ( euphoria ) i have attended many meets! but none of which at bluewater :(

I have been driving the CTR for around 9 months, but have wanted a 350z ever since i first saw one! Just didnt know prices because of the big engine!

Yes, come to think of it, I have seen your forum name now!

Im sure you will have read and seen pics of my Meets? Anyway,looks like you will soon become a Z MAN! Trust me, I felt the same as you, had the same questions, but you got to say to yourself .."What the f**k" and go for what your heart desires, you only live once, so live it, begin with the 350Z. :thumbs:

i also get through around a lt of oil every 2k miles.

That is a seriously bad oil consumption problem! It sounds like its a good time to change cars before the engine gives up.

Running costs aren't too bad on a 350z. They are pretty reliable and petrol would be much worse than a CTR.

Besides a 350z has far more class :teeth:

Hey all another newbie here, was going to start a new thread but I'm in the same position as you euphoria, got a CTR and looking to change to a 350Z, had the CTR about 2 years now and fancy a change.

Not in a real rush so got plenty of time to find the right one but hopefully will have one soon.

I was looking at running costs also and from what I've read it doesn't seem to be too different.

The CTR does use oil especially if you use the Vtec regular, a litre every 2k miles or so sounds about the same for me.

Hey all another newbie here, was going to start a new thread but I'm in the same position as you euphoria, got a CTR and looking to change to a 350Z, had the CTR about 2 years now and fancy a change.

Not in a real rush so got plenty of time to find the right one but hopefully will have one soon.

I was looking at running costs also and from what I've read it doesn't seem to be too different.

The CTR does use oil especially if you use the Vtec regular, a litre every 2k miles or so sounds about the same for me.

Welcome Daz, As you can see many of us previous CTR owners are now 350Z followers!

Alot of Z for the money at the moment, find a good one!!

I changed from an MG ZS 180 (2.5 litre V6) and I haven't noticed any change in fuel. I get about 28mpg (according to the computer) but on a long run, on A-roads (went to Cornwall a few weeks back) and was getting 34mpg! :teeth: Was well happy with that :thumbs:

Even after returning from a trip to italy, i was getting about 350 miles to the tank, and that was motorway speeds (including 154mph on the autobahn). Yes, Cleggr is proud of that :yahoo:

Go get a 350, you won't regret it B)