Crazy Dials

BRO-T

Hi everyone,

So a couple of times now, after turning the ignition all my dials go crazy, rev's up and over 5000rpm, fuel over full, speed over 160. Tried turning it off again, and it did sort it once. After about 5 times today i finally got my speedo, fuel and temp back to normal. The rev counter was stuck all the way round touching the stopper.

Is this common??

My oil pressure guage does something similar.

Was all ok then after a couple of weeks when I would switch on the ignition the oil pressure needle would be halfway before starting the engine :wacko:

Took out the consol and looked at the guage but couldn't see anything wrong, then after a couple of days it deceided to give be max oil pressure before I start the car :doh:

I think all of the dials are controlled by a white box made by Calsonic. If you remove the gear knob surround by unscrewing the gear knob and lifting the surround from the end furthest the dash you should be able to see the box (under the stereo). Might be worth removing the ribbon cables and plugging them back in?

Thanks guys, the car has a 3month warranty from the dealer i purchased it from. I'm sure it will be covered.

Obviously not a common problem!!

What does your 3 month warrenty cover bud ?, and is it a nissan dealer ?

What does your 3 month warranty cover bud ?, and is it a nissan dealer ?

Hehe, that’s an interesting question. When you look through the small print and digest it all, not a lot. After speaking to them (warranty company) they will allow me to claim for faulty dials. If that is what it turns out to be. But Nissan want an inital £89+vat

Bad thing is that they will only pay up to £50+vat per hour labour charge!! Anything more and I will have to pay the difference.

Wasn’t brought from a Nissan Dealer unfortunately!

What does your 3 month warranty cover bud ?, and is it a nissan dealer ?

Hehe, that’s an interesting question. When you look through the small print and digest it all, not a lot. After speaking to them (warranty company) they will allow me to claim for faulty dials. If that is what it turns out to be. But Nissan want an inital £89+vat

Bad thing is that they will only pay up to £50+vat per hour labour charge!! Anything more and I will have to pay the difference.

Wasn’t brought from a Nissan Dealer unfortunately!

Sounds like the nissan wtee that dealers use provided by the AA.... I would go back to the dealers and try and push it too them without having to go through the wtee co.... tell them its not fit for purpose and quote trades discriptions...

5 days now since my dials last went crazy. Must be a problem with the whole cluster, I wonder if some dirt has got on the connectors whilst it was being converted? May strip them down this weekend and clean them up!

Quick qu, I’ll probably start another post. As I believe mine has had the ECU chip to convert to mph, and the black sticky tape to place over km/h, is it possible now to buy a new dial fascia to replace the old JDM one??

• 3 weeks later...

Update!!!

I spoke to a guy called Mark at Abbey Motorsport today, who was very helpful. Fingers crossed the problem is my own doing and can be fixed easily.

When I installed my rear speakers and front's I had to remove the Cambus Box (white box behind heater controls) there maybe some dirt on the connectors or the cables are simply loose at the back. If this is the case it will almost certainly send your dials crazy!!!

Guess what I’ll be doing straight after work!!!

Update!!!

I spoke to a guy called Mark at Abbey Motorsport today, who was very helpful. Fingers crossed the problem is my own doing and can be fixed easily.

When I installed my rear speakers and front's I had to remove the Cambus Box (white box behind heater controls) there maybe some dirt on the connectors or the cables are simply loose at the back. If this is the case it will almost certainly send your dials crazy!!!

Guess what I’ll be doing straight after work!!!

Thats what IanS16 suggested right at the start of the thread. Did you not try it then? :bangin:

Still no luck with my “crazy dials†I spent the weekend fitting some new speakers and iPod controller and whilst at it, I cleaned the connectors to the cambus box in the centre console. Reconnected everything back up, still the same problem, it’s not as frequent mind.

Spoke to Thor-Racing who are nearby and hopefully they can fix it. They're going to put a new converter on to replace the old one that was fitted when it was first imported. They seem to think this is causing a lot of my problems.

Finally some good news regarding this.

By luck I found a garage in Birmingham that specializes in Nissan cars. Its run by a Chinese guy and he was really sound with me. Hooked his diagnostics computer to the port under the dash and got the error code off within seconds.

Error U1001, Can Data Bus signal malfunction, possible cause wiring!

Now I need to speak to Nissan, and get a price on parts. Its either the wiring Loom or the Can Bus box. Could be pricey either way. lucky its under its warranty still :teeth:

The guy didn't even charge me for doing it. Nissan wanted £90 for diagnostics!!!

Finally some good news regarding this.

By luck I found a garage in Birmingham that specializes in Nissan cars. Its run by a Chinese guy and he was really sound with me. Hooked his diagnostics computer to the port under the dash and got the error code off within seconds.

Error U1001, Can Bus signal failure, possible cause wiring!

Now I need to speak to Nissan, and get a price on parts. Its either the wiring Loom or the Can Bus box. Could be pricey either way. lucky its under its warranty still :teeth:

The guy didn't even charge me for doing it. Nissan wanted £90 for diagnostics!!!

What was the place in Birmingham called mate?

Thanks for the compliment, it needs a good polish and wax, preferably before the Dyno Meet at the end of the month!

You really are local along with nurish! Colebrook is my local :D

Yes it is a Nismo V2 kit. Loving my car apart this dial problem!