ESP

caroline

OK here's another one for you all.

I've had my z just over a week and apart from that small navi door problem I've also noticed the ESP is being a bit wierd.

I occasionally get the skid warning light flash at even though I'm not driving that hard, and it also feels like it's perhaps putting the brakes on a bit or something as I get a wierd noise and the car slows – I'm not sure if this is part of the ESP or something which is causing the ESP to turn on. It's also particularly bad on bumpy roads.

Yesterday both the skid warning light AND the ESP light came on and stayed on too on the way home, although after stopping the engine and starting it again, the problem went away. :headhurt:

My car has an extended warranty on it so I can get it fixed but I just wanted people's opinions before I go back to the dealer with it. Any ideas?

Can we have the details on your wheel and tyre sizes, makes and tread left. Normally this is caused by the front to rear stagger in rolling radius (not width) being thrown out slightly. That or different makes front to rear which also confuses it somehow.

Its quite a common problem, so dont worry we should be able to sort it :thumbs:

Hmmm this would make sense, as the problem was not there when I drove the car originally for a test drive, but the dealer said he had to put two new tyres on for the MOT. However, I don't think it was two front or two rear I think it was one front and one rear.

I'll have a look later and post up.

Thanks! :D

dealer said he had to put two new tyres on for the MOT. However, I don't think it was two front or two rear I think it was one front and one rear.

:bang:

If I was a betting man, I would be putting my money on that! Dealers of all people should know you should always change tyres on the same axle in pairs! They should have had 4 new ones all round. If I was you I would check out the makes and sizes of all the tyres and roughly how much tread is left and we can tell you if thats likely to be the cause :)

OK here's the deal...

Both front tyres are new Bridgestone 225/45 R18, with about 8mm tread from what I can see (I'm assuming these are the ones the dealer replaced as both fronts were low from what I remember)

Both rears are Bridgestone 245/45 R18. Rear O/S tyre has about 7mm tread and N/S has only about 4mm, which is probably the problem :thumbdown:

I'm guessing thats assuming it's tyre wear (I hope so) causing it I can't claim on the warranty so should I replace both rear or do you think I'll be ok just to replace the worn one?

And where is the cheapest place to get these tyres?

Check your tyre pressures, as that could easily cause the issues too. Also I'm presuming that all four are Bridgestone RE040s? 3mm difference between the rear tyres shouldn't cause that much trouble, not to the extent you're describing anyway.

The bit I cant understand is why the lights would come on but stay on. We know that an imbalance due to wear or pressure can confuse the unit but I think its an instantaneous "kick" and should then carry on as normal.

Yes it normally is like that (it seems to particularly dislike slight right hand bends at speed of about 40) about 95% of incidents

but twice now it's done it and then decided to stay on. If I stop and turn the engine off normal service is resumed though. Weird :headhurt:

When it stays on (both lights) it mean there ha been actual slip. Like switching it off and doing a donut....

I'd check the tyre pressures. You might find that the left hand rear is low so is loading up and confusing the car.

May be worth getting the tracking and camber checked too, and also the shocks. Its been known for a dodgy shock to cause a "wiggle" of the back end on uneven surfaces (mine suffered this) this could have the pottential to cause the TC to kick in.

• 2 weeks later...

This is doing my head in :rant:

I've been back to the dealer now twice. The first time they did something to some sensor, the second time they did the tracking yet my ESP is STILL cutting in!

Anyone got any ideas because obviously the dealer hasn't :bang:

I think its time to get in touch with Nissan UK Caroline. It sounds like the sealer is clueless which isnt that unusual. Also get another owner who is local to sit in the car while you drive it, this will give you some back up.

If you have problems with them please pm me. ;)

I think its time to get in touch with Nissan UK Caroline. It sounds like the sealer is clueless which isnt that unusual. Also get another owner who is local to sit in the car while you drive it, this will give you some back up.

If you have problems with them please pm me. ;)

+1 to all of that :)

At the end of the day, there arent that many variables in how it works, its not unreasonable to expect them to be able to find out whats wrong! Just keep pushing and hold on in there. If you can get buy in from NMGB then it should hopefully speed things up. Hope they get it sorted :)

Finally..... IT'S FIXED!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Apparently it was the front steering sensor after all, which they replaced.

It now drives like an absolute dream. I am sure I am the happiest gal in North London :teeth:

I will have to spend all weekend polishing it :blush:

After I've taken it for a good blat about that is B)

so glad it's fixed :thumbs:

can you be a bit more precise on the fix please, as my ESP is a bit nervous on the front - causing front wheel to brake prematurely - mostly nearside on fast/tight right hand bends.

Is 'front steering sensor' correct description - or is this the ESP sensor on one or both front wheels ? - if yes did they change both or one side you were having a particular problem with ?

thanks in advance :)

:wacko:

Sorry I don't know!

This is what the Nissan dealer called it, the front steering sensor. However, I was not talking to the mechanic, just a receptionist so to be honest I don't really know and I don't have any paperwork which tells me. :headhurt:

I wasn't having a particular problem with any specific bends it was doing it left and right but it was almost always as I was turning the steering or had just come out of a bend.

I mentioned it to my ex BF last night he said it was called a Yaw sensor.

To be honest all this electronic stuff is all a bit new to me having come from working on 1960s cars where even hazard lights are a luxury :scare:

So I feel quite blonde right now :blush::lol:

Hope that helps though :)