Attempted Install = Bad Day = Help Needed. Please!

Ok, today has not gone very well...

First up I removed the door cards to discover that the door loom is actually connected to the car via a socket and not a simple loom. This has prevented me from running my speaker wire from the doors into the car foot wells. 2nd problem: I bought some MDF spacers but my speakers still impede the windows. So, after giving up for the day and rebuilding the doors I realised that I had forgot to attach the locking cables so I had to remove both doors cards again (to attach the cables) and re assemble them. During this saga I managed to break my passenger door handle too. :doh:

I've looked through all 23 pages in the ICE folder and after reading some of Rob's posts I'm reasonably confident I can build some more complex MDF rings to house the speakers, but how did you guys run the speaker wires into the car? Can you use the Bose wire and re-connect to that somewhere else in the car? This is what I am hoping to do, I don't want to attack the sockets.

Replacing the sub woofer looks like a bar steward too as I can tell the factory grill will not fit once I use an MDF ring to mate my sub to the old Bose woofer 'box.' I honestly wish I left this well alone now....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Matt

Not at all buddy.... A few beers and match of the day will cheer me up. Until tomorrow :dry:

You must be like me or vice versa, once i set my mind to do something i will not let it beat me, even if it means numorous attempts.

Thanks Martin. I did have the read the wiki and the guys over there hacked up the socket joining the car. I am hoping one of the guys here had a more sympathetic (or should we say creative, or English) approach to the wiring :)

Thanks for adding the link, it's good reference material for anyone else reading this thread :thumbs:

I had a day like that about 2 months ago.

I attempted to remove my front bumper so I could remove my headlights.I eventually got it off after a couple of hours only to find the bulbs I had been sent didn't fit.Put it all back together and after 5 hours was back at square one.

Stressed up to the eyeballs I attacked a pack of grolsch to ease the pain.

I vowed to never again attempt any jobs on my car.

Pay someone else to have the stress ,sit back and relax.

I attempted to remove my front bumper so I could remove my headlights.I eventually got it off after a couple of hours only to find the bulbs I had been sent didn't fit.Put it all back together and after 5 hours was back at square one.

:lol::lol:

To change bulbs, remove the wheel, pop off three or four clips on the arch liner and you have access.....

Should have told you that earlier! :lol::lol:

No Stew I had to take the lights out and replace them with the ones Paul sent down,only he had not sent bulbs.

So I thought mine would fit,but the lugs on the bulbs are different so would not fit.That's when I was pulling my hair out.

No Stew I had to take the lights out and replace them with the ones Paul sent down,only he had not sent bulbs.

So I thought mine would fit,but the lugs on the bulbs are different so would not fit.That's when I was pulling my hair out.

Ah!

Well I've had the lights out a few times.... I get quicker everytime! Was a pain the first time I did it. Also only found out the last time that if I use a short socket with a different extension on it I can get at the front (awkward) light fixing point. I always used a long reach socket for it and had to step up the size of socket wrench...... I know now!

Anyway, back to ice. Haven't touched mine.... yet.

Regarding the speaker wire. You can use the bose wiring but if you bought some good after market speakers you wont be doing them justice at all. Your best bet it to run new speaker wire from the headunit but as you said you need to get it through the ISO. The easiest way is to drill 2 holes through the ISO and poke it through. You can see from the pic below how mine goes through. There is a section on the ISO that has no connections on what so ever so there is plenty of space. Its a real fiddly job, my advice would be to make the hole so the cable easily goes in and out of it.

Picture2.jpg

Hi mate, just caught up with this. Mine was done by modifying the connector with the uprated speaker wire and making the connector back up again as if it was standard. Not the *perfect* solution when running upgraded speaker wire but given it was then going through the crossover and EQ, that's the way it was done..... Takes some time, but that's the sort of thing I just like knowing has been done. :)

Did something similar yesterday, removed my dash and replaced it to find none of my dials or clocks work, they all just fell to the bottom. Hoping its just cos I haven't plugged it in right. . . :doh:

For the wiring take a look at http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Front_Sp ... re_Routing. Alternatively if you are not running mega power you are probably OK running through the standard loom

For the spacers - its a bit of trial an error. I found it was a case of build a ring, attach to door, build another ring for speaker and then have a play around with how they sit together using the old small bits of wood and hot glue.

Replacing the rear sub with an aftermarket is an arse - it looks much, simpler than it is 1 attaching a ring to the metal place is not the easiest due to the shape of it and at some parts the only contact you get is a few mm of metal (at the botom and top) also as you mention the factory grill will not fit. I ended up using a piece of wood and cutting it to shape to place the factory one

Thanks Marky. Did you remove the door to do this or did you manage find space with it still attached?

btw, sorry to see your thread last week... I hope everything works out for you after all the effort you've put into the car.

Ta,

Matt

No when i did the speakers i didnt remove the door. That pic i posted was from when i did my LSD doors.

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful :thumbs:

I am going to make some mounts like these... A willing friend will give me hand with running the wires through the doors. WON'T YOU CHRIS!

I'm off to get busy with my dynomat now.

Thanks again,

Matt

lol!! Hmmm, not sure about willing but i'll give you a hand!! You can be the guinea pig for my install!!!!!!!!!

Chris :)