Property/Legal advice needed

Lexx

Hi Guys,

Looking for a little advice with regards to the property me and Laura are currently in.

I have plenty of lawyer friends, but none of them know about property!

Ok, so me and Laura moved into our flat on March 11th.

Got the water turned on on the 12th, and immediately found a leak in the en suite shower. Called up the estate agents (going through them, not direct with landlord - which is annoying!). Was told it will be in hand and taken care of.

The next Monday, I started decorating, when there was a knock at the door. The guy from downstairs had come up to let me know that his En Suite ceiling had just collapsed.

I was straight onto the Estate Agents, and they immediately sent round their builder, who discovered there was a crack in the shower basin, and the waste pipe was corroded through.

But because he was working for estate agent, he couldnt do anymore as the landlord had to approve costs.

2 weeks later the landlords builder finally arrived (bit of a shady charachter according to Laura), and was just doing side jobs for the landlord, but wouldnt be able to do anything for weeks.

All went quiet.

I got back from sea on the 13th, and went to the estate agents in person on the 14th. I was told that the landlord had just recently asked them to take care of the repair and to bill him. I was then told that their builder was busy until 20th, but it would be sorted.

Ive spent all this week calling up asking whats happening after the builder didnt arrive as planned on Monday.

Each time the agents have said they will chase it up and call me back. Suffice to say they havent.

Laura finally got some answers outta them today, and they said their builder isnt available till the 11th. But cant do weekends.

We explained to them 5 weeks ago that I work away, and that once I go back to sea, then weekend are only time available for soemone to come round. We were told that was fine.

I go back to sea on Monday.

So basically it will be 9 weeks by the time it gets sorted (if it gets sorted). Our leasing aggreement says that "landlord will make repairs in reasonable time)

We're paying full rent thorughout this period, and we cant even use our en suite. Something which these flats carry a premium for!

I tried to get to see CAB tomorrow, but no slots available.

We dont know if we are now in a position where we can get the work done ourselves, and charge the landlord.

Or wheteh we are in our rights to demand discount on the rent until its sorted.

If anyone has any advice, or has been through similar situations and can pass on knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Al

Just a quickie Al. Are the letting agents part of an ombudsman service, it will probably be on their letter headings. If they are they are bound by a code.

will have a look. not sure if we have any lteerheaded paper from them.

hiya mate weve got alot of properties which we let and maintain and its soley down to the landlord to put it right (as you already know) but if i was you i wouldnt pay for the work to be done as then you'l probally have a battle on your hands gettin the money back any time soon!! you really need to get hold of the landlord and get round to see him or theres also the option of the small claims court!!! probally wouldnt get much out of it but worth the scare tactics but the only real way off gettin anything done quicksharp is to get the landlord face to face or demand money off from the estate agents, ill have a word with my dad see what he thinks but he's away at the moment :thumbs:

spoke with him and he says you should just stop paying your rent they cant through you out as youv got your legal contract and to be honest they bend over backwards in favour of the 'renter' not landlord, he'll soon turn up to sort the problem then and say your not paying for the rent while the problem occurred as it caused you discomfort the first two weeks is fair enough but no longer :thumbs:

i would say you are with-holding your rent until they sort it (but make sure you put it somewhere don't spend it) that will spark him into action! Imagine if you had fallen through the ceiling and got hurt!

I would also check with things like your home insurance, any union membership bank account etc as quite often you have access to free legal advice which you don't realise you have got - a quick solicitors letter would probably be enough.