1st Time Car Detailing Shopping List

maestegman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice!

You'll find over time that you use less and less product for an application.

One thing, you did a lot of washing, I don't think it was all required!

You'll get into a routine though and the results are great!

Excellent result B)

From your pics, yes you did have too much wax and wheel sealant. Just like painting, its better to get the layers as thin as possible so they cure quickly and are easy to remove. You soon learn this. With Dodojuice, its much easier to get it thin if you use an applicator although this can be more effort. More practice and you'll soon have it sorted :thumbs:

Many thanks for the encouraging words and advice (again) guys/gals - it is hugely appreciated.

I'll give claying a go soon. It just looked a bit technical for a detailing virgin!

One thing guys - I've managed to stain my driveway with Tyre Shine. Any recommendations as to how to remove the marks?

I've also noticed that the interior is a bit blotchy after cleaning with Poorboys Natural Dressing. Any ideas? (It does smell fantastic though!)

Spray some AG Engine and Machine cleaner on the stain and rinse with a hose.

As for the interior, if is is blotchy, put some of the dressing onto the cloth so it is impregnated with the product i.e. put some on the cloth and rub the cloth together so you can't see it on the cloth. You don't need a lot (no more than a Malteser size blob) then wipe over the blotchy areas. This should move some of the blotches to the nearby area and give a smoother look. Then take a clean / dry cloth and give it a final wipe after a few minutes. To check it, when you've done the first wipe, walk around the car looking at the surface and check it looks ok. ;)

(there go some of my 'secrets'! :lol: )

I'll tell you my secret of being a clay virgin. I was talking Jayne through it and it became perfectly obvious...

Practice on glass. It's really hard to scratch and it'll teach you about pressure and lube (that sounds rude)

Wash the item (car or window) Nice lump of clay nicely kneeded and spray some lube and kneed it in, spray some lube on the panel then apply finger pressure on the clay. Just move it about, you'll feel resistance. It it makes noise or feels bad (you'll know it) then more lube. Kneed it again and keep going. No resistance - job done.

I'm sure there are Youtube videos but thats how I started. Once you're confident on glass then work at the paint. Try with a soft clay first too!

Claying is easy mate, just make sure you use loads of lube with it. You will start with too much, but thats fine, you soon get the feel for it. Also make sure you start with small chunks so that if (WHEN!) you drop it, you dont mind throwing it away. Also check out DetailingWorlds guides they are the best :)

With the tyre shine, get yourself a foam applicator. I just recenty got one and it makes it so easy. Just spray on the applicator and wipe it around the tyre. No getting it on the drive or alloys and nice even finish :thumbs: