Got bored; made this: CF covering rear strut brace

rtbiscuit

Rich,

Does the vinyl give a kind of deep 3d carbon effect or is it just a flat pattern?

Does look great from the pics :thumbs:

does look like a deep patern, very deceptive, i'll hopefully be at the wales meet on the sunday, so people can look then, i might even bring the roll with me if people want to buy some.

Rich,

Does the vinyl give a kind of deep 3d carbon effect or is it just a flat pattern?

Does look great from the pics :thumbs:

does look like a deep patern, very deceptive, i'll hopefully be at the wales meet on the sunday, so people can look then, i might even bring the roll with me if people want to buy some.

Do it... i'll buy some off ya for the steering wheel trim :thumbs:

If rtbiscuit for some reason cannot make it to Wales, I'll gladly volunteer as a courier :thumbs:

thanks mate much appreciated.

i'm going to have a go at the steering controls tomorrow, will take pics when i'm done. might bring my tools to wales and maybe do a couple for people while i'm there if they want. depends on time really, i suppose because i won't be at the carvery i can sit outside and do it while i eat my pack lunch and everyone else is inside eating there roasts. just call me cinderella :lol:

ok, i tried removing the steering wheel controls today so that i could CF them, but i hit a stumbling block, i couldn't get thm out.

i managed to remove the 2 srews behind the steering wheel.. easy enough. still wouldn't come out.

so i then took the 2 plastic covers off the side and removed the 2 bolts at the side... wasn't sure what they were but they turned out to be what holds the air bag in place. easy enough.

i know have my steering wheel in many bits, and they still wont come off, had a feel around and there are 2 more screws holding them in, but they are blocked by the rear steering wheel plastic trim and the only way to get at them is to take the steering wheel off... at this point i didn't have a long enough socket extension, or a long enough socket, or 2 pairs of hands, or big enough musles. tried different methods and the sodding thing wouldn't budge. i even tried unclipping just the covers off leaving the switches in places, would they come off ... b0110cks would they.

gave up in the end and put the lot back together. thats a job for another time. so i dismantled my enginge cover instead for spraying and have primed the bases for my new strut brace as well. :dry:

looks good,

did you fill the 3 holes eitherside of the Zed before vinyling or can you still feel them if you push your finger in?

I didn't bother as i wasn't too concerned about the dimples. It gives a good effect but i will probably end up painting it. I only put it on because i had it laying around and i was board at work :lol:

Both looking very good, any one fancy poping round and doing mine :teeth:

if you are coming to the meet on sunday i can take your rear brace home with me and post it back to you when i've done it.

Very tempting, will defo talk more on sunday matey, for sure yeah :teeth: , can run some of my ideas past ya as well :thumbs:

how much does it cost to do this yourself? and is it particularly difficult to do? i notice on the envy website it costs £200 for a carbon fiber rear strut so its something i would be very interested in doing myself

got 2 options

option 1

i'll send you enough material to do it with cost £10 takes about 5 min to remove it 10 min to remove the zed carefully, about 1 hour to fit the vinyl, 2 min to fit the zed back on and about 2 min to refit the cover. (or as nurrish says, you can get it off ebay as well, Would get around 1m by 300mm for around a £10 on ebay, more than enough)

option 2

post it to me and i'll do it for £35

• 7 months later...
Nice job!!

How much does that METAL piece cost from Nissan :scare:

Jerry :)

which metal piece are you refering to the whole lot is plastic

The silver rear strut cover..!!

absolutly nothing, it was already attatched to the car, just removed it, took the Zed badge off, covered it and re-assembled it all. only thing i paid for was the vinyl.

How does the Zed badge come off? i dont want to break it. do you have to cut all the plastic away at the back of it?