What the FU**!

N1SM0350z

I was coming back from a job in london on teusday (following the sat nav) and it took me down a the same road it has before, this time there were two police men at the other end, one of them flagged me down asked me to get out etc etc. Then he asked if I knew why he had stopped me I said no, it was because the satnav took me down a buses and taxi only road not a bus lane just a road that has now been closed to public traffic. The result £60 fine and 3 points!! :rant::rant::rant::rant: I cant believe it I think its way over the top for what was a simple and honest mistake. Plus there were loads of other people doing it so I said what about them and he said "unfortunately we can only stop one person at a time" !! :angry::angry::bang:

Doesn't sound very nice mate.

That's why you should always check signposts too!

Sat Nav is pretty decent but it certainly isn't perfect!

Unfortuantely I have to agree. Was a bit of a b!tch that they only stopped you. Surely there werent that many people going down there that they couldnt flag them all over. If there were that many, then that tells them the signage isnt good enough!

Nightmare mate. Points seems very harsh, didn't think they gave them out for offences like that! Your car stands out, if I was a bobby i'd be pulling you before the Saxo in front. Jealousy I don't know haha... Anyway thanks for the post up you may of saved someone else's bacon.

There were quite a few thats why I said what about all the other people, the signs were really high up not really in your line of vision, I dont know many people that drive around looking skywards!!! :angry:

I'm sure a fine would have sufficed, still abit ott as it was a complete accident and they knew I wasnt from around there, but its the points thats really annoyed me. I think its because I was in a van and they assumed I was being a "van driver" and doing it on purpose. Thing is only having my licence 18months I only have 6 points on it as opposed to 12 which I dont get untill 2 years :bang: so I basically have to drive like an old lady :lol:. Plus it seems being courteous (spelling) doesnt help either, I should have just got out and shouted my mouth off, didnt seem to make a difference :headhurt:

Nightmare mate. Points seems very harsh, didn't think they gave them out for offences like that! Your car stands out, if I was a bobby i'd be pulling you before the Saxo in front. Jealousy I don't know haha... Anyway thanks for the post up you may of saved someone else's bacon.

Me either, its only because they kept asking how long id had my licence and if I had any points that I asked and he said yes :angry:

Write to the company that makes the sat nav you have and complain to them for not updating their maps, which resulted you receiving a fine and points.

I could try, dont know what goo it'll do. Im going to write a letter to someone about the point because its ridiculous, but I think it'll mean I have to go to court :blink:

Write to the company that makes the sat nav you have and complain to them for not updating their maps, which resulted you receiving a fine and points.

If a talking box on your dashboard told you drive down the wrong side of a motorway would you?

It's certainly not the fault of the sat nav maker. Ok, we'd all love to see maps updated however it's not going to happen.

It's an unfortunate incident with a pretty harsh outcome but it was avoidable.

That's why you should always check signposts too!

^^^ This. A satnav is a good guide to get you roughly where you need to be, but common sense and the ability to look at the road signs instead of your satnav screen should always be employed first.

In essence, you've done basically what this guy did, just with a slightly better outcome. Count yourself lucky and learn from the mistake, don't bitch at the police for doing their job (although I would agree that a stern telling off would probably have sufficed, but if there were loads of cars going down there like you say then the only way to get people to stop doing it is to get tough).

Well I do use common sence im not an imbecile ( the satnav has told me to turn left on a straight piece of motorway but I didnt do it), I was watching the road and not the screen as it was a busy street but the signs were not In view. Everyone makes mistakes, but the punishment was far too harsh for such an easyone, Im pretty sure many people would have done the same, its just my f****** luck that there were police there. Its easy to say ohh you shuld be doing this and not that etc etc but its not the same when you are there doing it obviously I look back and say yes I should have looked for signs but the most important thing was not mowing down pedestrians.

obviously I look back and say yes I should have looked for signs but the most important thing was not mowing down pedestrians.

Which is why it's a bus & taxi lane only anyway, which is why you shouldn't have been down there and which is why you got the points. I've never accidentally driven down a piece of road where cars aren't allowed, and I'm guessing that 99% of people on here haven't either, so it's not like it's an easy mistake to make...

I don't mean to get at you matey; I don't think anyone here is really having a go, and I do agree that a warning should have been enough, but you can't really really be too mad when you were 100% in the wrong.

I think more people would make the mistake than you like to believe, as I said its easy to sit on the computer and say how can you do that, but its different when your driving in a place as big and busy as london when you dont know your way around with only the satnav for guidance. I'm not mad for being in the wrong, I know im in the wrong I dont debate that, but the main thing im on about is that the punishment was way over the top. The road was no busyer than any of the others that I was working around in that area, there were pedestrians everywhere.

I know no one is having a go its all opinions etc.

Of course a good dose of common sense is needed when using a sat nav.

A good dose of common sense is needed when donning a police uniform, but it seems that they would gladly dish one out to hitler if he were alive today.

Handing out penalty points for a simple mistake like that is way OTT, and yet another fine example of how "targets" have turned the police force from a respectable and praised organisation into jobsworths that are hated by most motorists.

Doubt its the coppers fault, their force was probably in danger of missing its targets, so the ability to use their discretion is removed in order to meet some figures set by a pen pusher whom dictates that so many crimes must be detected and resolved.