help me build my track machine

mractive

my idea is to buy a car to use on track days. i was looking to get an import but have been advised by a few of you that i might as well buy a uk model.

i have up to 10k to spend. what i would like to know is do u think i should spend that all on a car or try and get a cheaper example and add to it with the remaining cash?

also would be nice if any of u have track cars to let me know what u have done or what u would of done if u could start again

:thumbs: cheers

If you are just going to be using it on track, I personally wouldn't have said it matters if you get a UK or an Import. I would get the cheapest, decent car you get then add to it with coilovers and other suspension goodies such as ARB's etc as well as brakes or upgrade the discs and pads on a Brembo caliper.

Alex (ZMANALEX) is the man to speak to here though as he has vast track experience.

^^^ what he said.

If you are talking about importing one now, then there is no real point, you can get plenty of cars that are already in the UK cheaper. If you are talking about cars already in the country, then do as Andy says and just get the cheapest.

Mods I'd be looking at are decent rubber, new suspension, brakes (braided lines, racing fluid, decent pads and discs), ARBs, seats + harnesses, then engine mods and chasis bracing.

I think that for £10K and for a car purely for track use you're far better off getting an Elise or Caterham. Either of those will walk all over a Zed costing the same money on track as that's what they were designed for. There's no denying that the 350 is a fun car on track, but it's simply too heavy to seriously consider as a track car unless you've got an incredible amount of money to throw at it.

wow great responses thanks dudes. nope im not going to strip the interior as it will be used as a run around occasional when im bored of my other beast a 1.8 green focus ha.

i want this car to be some fun for a few years till i eventually crash it or i become bored of its speed on track then i eventually want to buy a porsche to have even more fun with on the track.

i have found an import one which seems to have soem of the right mods but it does lead me to think i t might be thrashed, and those detailings gotta go if i did buy it.

http://www.bonsaicars.com/Cars/model_index.php?mid=1

brakes and suspension vastly improve laptimes in the zed, made an incredible difference to mine,

the zed's chassis is a great layout (although heavy) but it is let down by the standard suspension, get it lowered/stiffened - better brakes, even if just pads, and if it comes with the bridgestones get them off! :)

Which one? It took you to main page? Is it the bodykitted grey one? If so it doesn't have brembos which for a track car is probably a good idea unless it's MEGA cheap or you plan to change to a big brake kit?

Probably best to go for Rays too (like the UK one above) as they are lightweight forged wheels so will save a wee bit of unsprung weight.

thats in scotland, looks really good though nice price too id be able to upgrade a few bits. i would go up there but its a bit far just to look at it id be more inclined to buy it as i wouldnt of wanted to go ll that way without coming back with it. is there anyone in scotland that wants to do me a favour :D

spoke to the guy sounded like a nice guy who has been messed about a wee bit by other buyers, there r some problems though. it had some damage whic has been corrected however he said that one of the doors has not been sprayed well and needs to be repainted. also there is a dent in one of the rear arches. he wil take 7500 for it but no less.

he is sending me more pictures later today with the damage and the poor paint job. iv an uncle who will do the paint job for next to nothing just got to buy the paint and help but more worried about any structural damage to chassis what u lot think

^^^ what he said.

If you are talking about importing one now, then there is no real point, you can get plenty of cars that are already in the UK cheaper. If you are talking about cars already in the country, then do as Andy says and just get the cheapest.

Mods I'd be looking at are decent rubber, new suspension, brakes (braided lines, racing fluid, decent pads and discs), ARBs, seats + harnesses, then engine mods and chasis bracing.

I know "Autoterminal" in Southampton have alot of Z's in stock (yard is full of them) and what to unload some stock so go screw them for a cracking deal :thumbs:

personally I would go for a Integra Type R DC2, reason saying is they are dirt cheap and I have been on the track with a few friends who had them and one of them is a track prepared and that car is awsomely fast. You can pick a 98 spec up for around 4.5k and you have 6k to mod it for track, plus honda bits are cheap and reliable. with around 6K to spend I will put a cage in some decent suspension,completely stripe out, uprated brakes, K pro ECU,Exhaust manifold, inlet manifold, some higher lift cams, some decent tyres etc. you will be looking at around 250bhp+ on 1100kg car with still some cash left over. this will keep up with a 350-400bhp evo / skyline on a track.

Leon.