is a HPI check worth it....

elecious

Make the dealership get one. They pretty much get them for free, so shouldnt argue with you. When I got mine, they had done HPI and about 4 other checks (inc RAC inspection) and they gave me all the certs to prove it.

If they dont, then make friends with someone in your local Halfords. They can do them on the spot (although not meant to) for free if they like you :)

Defo get one and one independant of the dealer. I went to look at zed in Bristol that the dealer gave me a clear hpi for, did my own and it had £18k of finance still attached to it from the dealer that took it in px before they auctioned the car.....

I did a check when i purchased my car and i found the following guide. It says that if you purchase from a member of the motor trade then you cant be held liable and also if you have been informed by the seller. However i'd say in reality getting it in writting wont stop the finance company coming after your car so you'd be best checking it anyway!

http://www.mycarcheck.com/help/report/

Get one.

They will have HPI'd the vehicle, if they haven't, they're very very silly. They will probably keep it for the the dealers filing but get them to photocopy it for you if they won't do you another.

I think our HPI's (at work) cost around £4 ish.

Check the date, make sure it's nice and recent.

Defo get one and one independant of the dealer. I went to look at zed in Bristol that the dealer gave me a clear hpi for, did my own and it had £18k of finance still attached to it from the dealer that took it in px before they auctioned the car.....

shocking. was that a NISSAN dealer?

:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

If you pm me the number plate I can get an HPI done for you for free (I work at an insurance company and we can do them for free)

You could be very popular with offers like that! :teeth:

Haha, not a problem. It only takes me a couple of seconds to do them! You don't get a HPI cert or anything as its just meant for the underwriters to check cars aren't stolen/on finance etc

No it was an independant :headhurt:

Basically a Volvo dealer took it in px and then took out a 'stocking loan' against the car then chucked it in the auction, the independant bought the car and was trying to sell it, apparantly with no knowledge of the finance. He tried to tell me that it would be cleared in a month or so and to not worry about it :nono:

No it was an independant :headhurt:

Basically a Volvo dealer took it in px and then took out a 'stocking loan' against the car then chucked it in the auction, the independant bought the car and was trying to sell it, apparantly with no knowledge of the finance. He tried to tell me that it would be cleared in a month or so and to not worry about it :nono:

A mate of mine had exactly the same with an S2000 that he got from an independent that Honda had chucked into the auctions. Even worse, the finance was with Honda Finance! He's still going through the courts on it. Just pay for the HPi would be my advice :)

I got told this by a dealer, so it may be worth taking it with a large pinch of salt.......

I asked whether a car I was looking at had had a HPI check. He said it had and that he'd never sell a car without one for the following reason. Basically, if he sold a car that wasn't HPI clear and didn't inform the buyer of this fact, the buyer can return the car at any stage for a full refund. So it'd be possible to drive it for three years and then take it back for what you paid 3 years previously.

Not sure whether any of what he told me is true, and not sure I'd want to chance it even if it was!