Engine Flush - to be or not.

MattMe

Ayup folks.

I was thinking about when I take my car for a service to ask them to do an engine flush. Anyone here got any opinions on this?

I know some people swear by them and others swear at them. I know with older engines it's not recommended as sometimes the gunk you flush out can be the very same gunk holding your gaskets together. But on a newer engine I wouldn't imagine it would do any harm, would it?

Hmmm, yeah Google yields more contradicting views than I thought possible.

Basically some people say it's a bad thing either because it'll loosen all the crap which will then come out after you put your new oil in, and getting stuck in places you don't want it too. Or because the flush will stay in the system, remove oil from places it's needed and thin your new oil. I suppose that makes sense.

How badly mucked up do you think the internals of a 4yr old, 40,000 mile engine would be?

Better to do it now than later when there might be a lot of gunk ready to attack the internals or just leave it and change the oil more often?

I've run it through a few older cars I've had and it never seemed to do any damage but it's not so easy to risk it on a more expensive car...

The problem is there doesn't seem to be any hard evidence either way so I'm still no wiser.

Safer left alone I guess, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who's used it and which they used...

You can't compare the two but I bought one of those DIY engine flushes for my first car (a Y reg Mk 2 cavalier) I think it was called Redex. Anyway the kit destroyed what was left of valve stem seals and the car burned more oil than petrol after that! At seventeen years old it was hilarious as every overtaking manoeuvre would involve smoking out my victim, cartoon style!

I doubt this is too helpful :dry: but it brought back fond memories anyway :lol:

I haven’t touched an engine flush since. My Zed has covered 53k with FNSH and the oil looks good when I change it between services.

Matt

Every 3k? My my, that's commitment! :lol:

Yeah, I don't think I'll bother with the flush, it's probably not worth the risk and I guess it shouldn't need it. I know the car wasn't serviced one year but it did have 2 services in the 11k it covered, so not too bad...

I just want to drive it already!!

I did use an engine flush on a restoration project a while ago (some old BMW my mate had parked for years). We took out all the spark plugs, put the flush through the plug whole, left it over 2 nights, drained it, put some oil in than ran the engine off loaded (no driving). then drained the oil and re-filled it again with mobile 1.

that was an old inline 6 cyl BMW engine that had rust everywhere you looked or touched and was kind of dead for over 6 years if I remember correctly.

the result was beyond my comprehension quite frankly. the engine ran as smooth as a brand new spanking and one can tell even the starter motor sounded happy.

having said all that I dont see the point in flushing a properly maintained VQ35 engine.

If my car was in the garage for few years I will defo flush the engine otherwise I wouldn't.

hope that helps

maz

I just meant obne of those tins you throw in with your old oil, run for ten minutes and then drain off. How would a 'professional' job differ to that? I'm definitely not considering having the enging stripped - far too extreme for such a new engine IMO.

Sounds like it worked well on the beemer. Not sure how it improved the started motor though?? :wacko:

Are the Redex kits different from the pour in types ~I'm thinking off? I thnk the ones I've used are by 'Glyns' or something like that...

I just meant obne of those tins you throw in with your old oil, run for ten minutes and then drain off. How would a 'professional' job differ to that? I'm definitely not considering having the enging stripped - far too extreme for such a new engine IMO.

Sounds like it worked well on the beemer. Not sure how it improved the started motor though?? :wacko:

Are the Redex kits different from the pour in types ~I'm thinking off? I thnk the ones I've used are by 'Glyns' or something like that...

it is the same stuff you mix with the oil but I think he bought from the dealer.

you dont have to strip any parts off the engine, you just remove the spark plugs and pour the stuff through there, and we have done it in his driveway.

it didnt improve the starter motor as such , the engine just fired up quicker and felt free. one way to tell it works is to turn the engine off, put it in second gear and push the car back and forth. you do that before and after the flush. if the engine turns easier after the flush you it works. :lol:

As an ex-Hellfrauds employee I would say you are looking at either Wynns Engine flush or Redex Petrol treatment.

Wynns is the harsher one that flushes the interior. Can be hit and miss but I wouldn't bother on yours as the Zed engines are pretty new and efficient anyway.

If you wanted you could use Redex which helps in a somewhat more gentle way through sticking a bit in your next fill up. It then clears deposits as it's used.

The old Redex for carb engines used to be able to be stuck in the plug holes and even direct into the carbs inlets! My old MG smoked like it was on fire for about 5 mins but it worked! :lol:

Just a quick update on the engine flush situation...

I had to book my car in for the P1 and an MOT and so I asked what was included in the price. I spoke to both Sunwin garages near me - Nottingham and Ilkeston. They both said oil & filter, fuel additive and an engine flush, as well as a quick look over the brakes and other important areas of the car.

So I guess the engine flush wouldn't hurt if Nissan include it in all their service schedules. Not sure what type of flush or fuel additive they use though...

Also, just so you know, I decided to book it in at the Ilkeston garage as they were a lot more polite and helpful on the phone. I will, however, be opting out of the flush and additive and taking my own oil as it saved me over £100 and the car's only covered 6k since the last P3 service. I'll definitely be getting both done on the next P2.

Will post my opinions of the garage & service after I take it next week...

:)