Fitting K&N Typhoon CAI

rtbiscuit

Was about to fit my typhoon system, which shouldn't be a major problem, but as i was assessing the job i came across a minor problem. as part of the fitting porcess you have to remove the MAF sensor but it seems to be held in place with star fittings. and none of my star drives fit because it seems to have a sticky up bit in the middle. its as if they are tamper proof maf sensor fittings.

is there a speciaql tool for removing them i tried a set of adjustable grips like someone else ahd mentioned else where, but i couldn't seem to get on to the small screw.

how have others removed there maf sensor? if someone has the right tool could you tell me what it is and where to get it from or laon it to me for the weekend.

anyway it pi**ed it down and was cold so i gave up and went inside, only to find the wife has 101 jobs for me to do inside :dry: the rain has stopped but don't feel i have enough time to fit it, will have to wait till next weekend :dry:

have found some correct fittings from screw fix, found a star socket set with holes in the middle, cost me £20 but i suppose it will mena i have them for good and other jobs in the future.

will have to have a play next weekend.

really frustrating as i wanted to fit it now. especially as i have repainted the box and polished the intake.

btw, lemme know when you want the K&N recharge kit dropped off, I'll be back in town on Monday night, so it'll be Tuesday earliest that I can get it to you.

i think i might be fitting the typhoon kit tuesday night, depending on what time i get in.

if you wanted to pop in your more than welcome.

will probably fit it, and then remove and clean the filter later.

how long do you reckon it would take to dry after soaking it in water, before i could re oil and re fit?

just trying to work out how long i would need to not drive for to do the clean?

actually, i might clean the filter tomorrow night. ready for oiling and re fitting the following night, thats if your able to pop round ;)

Finally got round to fitting my typhoon system took me around 3 hours (started at 7.30pm finished 10.30 pm) is that a new world record?

it has gone from this

Picture1066.jpg

to this

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

i have stripped all the decals off and polished the main pipe, i also repainted the air box.

must admit, it was one bitch of a job, i didn't know there were so many bolts on the splash tray of the car. and getting access or even a spanner on to some of the bots you have to remove is time consuming, especially the one that holds the plate down over the short plastic OEM air intake built into the bumper and the one that holds the maf cable to the engine block.

but once in it looks good, but i have no intention of removing it for a long time yet. as i need to get over the scrapes up my arm hands and fingers.

not sur eon sound as it was late when i finished, and my wifes car was blocking me in the garage, so packed up and came on here, will find out tommorow morning.

all i could tell while running the engine and checking for leaks was that when you lift off it does seem to make more of a suck noise.

look forward to the drive to work :lol:

i did find i was missing one part, which was the long bolt nut and washer that goes through the toeing eye socket and holds the long arm of the air scoop in place.

so i've improvised and used a length of electrical wire. that puppy aint going no where. (i ahd no bolts or washers to hand :blush: )