Bought from trade dealer without road tax, is this legal?

Fien

Hi, i bought my 350z at the weekend from Chequered Flag car sales in Halifax and along with all things they told me, i was told that the car had a couple of months tax on it. I drove the car away and only realised when nearly back home (about 100 miles away in chester) that i didnt get the tax disc off them. I've since spoken to them and they've said that they'd send it in the post however i've checked on the DVLA website and it doesnt appear that the car has any tax at all!

I'm obviously not driving the car at the mo and i'm still waiting on the V5 to come through and so am wondering if anyone has any advice on my position? I know it was a mistake on my part for not getting the ficitional disc when i bought it but from my opinion they've mis-sold me the car and even worse have let me drive it off their forecourt illegally! I'm just grateful that i havent been stopped by the police.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Well technically as I understand it even if you have a task disc you must display it in the windscreen -the old grace period of its in the post 10 days I think it was does'nt wash anymore?

Only thing is that it would still be under their name not yours so if you would have been caught they are still the legal owners as far as I know??

I suggest you get them to send it you recorded delivery sharpish!! Dont drive it - its the camera's I would be worried about!

Also your insurance becomes invalid if you have no tax - double wammy eh! Just wait for the disc then enjoy it - probably an oversight or they are just dim!

Otherwise enjoy your car matey! ;)

oh btw ! :teeth:

:worthless: !!! the car not the tax disc! :yahoo:

Report them to trading standards immediately. Totally illegal what they have done and could have landed you a large fine if you'd been stopped (doesn't matter who is the legal owner - you are in front of the wheel driving without insurance and tax). A nissan main dealer will not let you drive it away without you proving you have insurance and there is tax.

any time i have bought a car off a dealer they insist on having your insurance so they can put tax on the car (at your expense usually) before they will let it leave the premises.

Yup they did for me. But if they arent taxing it for you, then they dont need to see your insurance. Thats the problem in this case! They have made a big balls up, and I'd be tempted to repor them for it. Not only is it illegal, its down right dangerous for you as it invalidates any insurance you have. I would be demanding a years tax off them for the hassle they have put you through and the fact that you cant drive the car until the tax arrives.

this has got me thinking actually. when i bought my car a few weeks ago, the guys at the dealer taxed it for me. but they never asked about my insurance details. and i wasnt insured on the car until the time i picked it up. and they gave me a 6 months tax disc till end of july when i picked it up. how can they have got the tax on the car if no one was insured on it?

this has got me thinking actually. when i bought my car a few weeks ago, the guys at the dealer taxed it for me. but they never asked about my insurance details. and i wasnt insured on the car until the time i picked it up. and they gave me a 6 months tax disc till end of july when i picked it up. how can they have got the tax on the car if no one was insured on it?

Not sure on that...I can only guess that the car was already taxed and they screwed you for the £100 or so in the purchase price of the car. Could be wrong. :wacko:

actually I got stung by that before - the garage actually taxed the car but put themselves on the log book as an owner instead of asking for my insurance! My car then had an extra owner on the details even though it was only for a few days.

Im in the trade, all our cars are sold without tax. Its the customers responsibility to get the tax after they have collected the car with us, we dont even need to see a cover note.

When the car is collected we give the customer the green slip off the V5 (we send the V5 to the DVLA) MOT if applicable and then we offer 7 days free insurance through Norwich Union if they need a cover note to tax it with. If they have their own by collection they use that instead.

Some dealers can tax a car without adding another owner to the log book but thats using a system only for new cars.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Im in the trade, all our cars are sold without tax. Its the customers responsibility to get the tax after they have collected the car with us, we dont even need to see a cover note.

When the car is collected we give the customer the green slip off the V5 (we send the V5 to the DVLA) MOT if applicable and then we offer 7 days free insurance through Norwich Union if they need a cover note to tax it with. If they have their own by collection they use that instead.

Some dealers can tax a car without adding another owner to the log book but thats using a system only for new cars.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

this is very interesting. i'm really not sure whether i need to do anything then and whether my tax is valid. i think when i bought the car, the car was in the showroom and the tax had run out. so before i collected it and part of the deal was that the dealer will put 6 months tax on. so when i got there, they already had the tax disc ready to give to me which is now displayed on the windscreen. i never gave them my insurance details. so do i need to transfer the tax into my name?

that's great, thanks.

Unsure what to do now as to wait for it to come through or to just get it. Unfortunately i'm post march 06 so i'm looking at £400 for the year :rant:

Might give them till monday and then just get the tax.

Starting to get a bit paranoid though as i dont trust a word they say, makes me doubt if they've even sent off the V5 yet.

I've seen my old car advertised as "1 mature owner, always garaged". This is a lie as i'm the 2nd owner of the car, 27 and have never kept it in the garage.

I thought they would have atleast been partially trustworthy by the quality of cars they had, £120k Bentley, Ferraris, Merc SLK's. Wouldnt have thought they would get to selling those type of cars on bad service.

Anyway, i've got a 350Z now :yahoo: and i love it. Will get some pics up soon

this is very interesting. i'm really not sure whether i need to do anything then and whether my tax is valid. i think when i bought the car, the car was in the showroom and the tax had run out. so before i collected it and part of the deal was that the dealer will put 6 months tax on. so when i got there, they already had the tax disc ready to give to me which is now displayed on the windscreen. i never gave them my insurance details. so do i need to transfer the tax into my name?

No tax is only in reference to the vehicle not the owner so you're ok.

In reference to waiting for the V5 I would ring up the DVLA to make sure they are processing it and to make sure the garage has actually sent it off.

Looked online at a 350Z from that same garage about two weeks ago - was just about to travel from Portsmouth to Halifax to buy but I ran a HPI check first with it being a loooong trip (would have paid cash there and then). Cat D write off - seller said nothing and would have had me make a 4 hour journey. Hope it was a different car. As they say, trust no-one!

P.S. This is my first post by the way - just bought a 2005 Gun Metal Grey GT - pick it up this week - the wait is killing me :-) Hello to everyone...

Looked online at a 350Z from that same garage about two weeks ago - was just about to travel from Portsmouth to Halifax to buy but I ran a HPI check first with it being a loooong trip (would have paid cash there and then). Cat D write off - seller said nothing and would have had me make a 4 hour journey. Hope it was a different car. As they say, trust no-one!

P.S. This is my first post by the way - just bought a 2005 Gun Metal Grey GT - pick it up this week - the wait is killing me :-) Hello to everyone...

welcome aboard mate. hope you are enjoying it as much as the rest of us. just on the HPI front. where i got mine from, they said that it was HPI checked already, so i didnt bother checking it myself. thinking i'm prob a bit lazy now since i've bought it. will it be ok? and also is there any way i can check whether it was cat d or other damage since i own it now?

I'm in the same boat. Bought mine from a nissan main dealer and they said it was all hpi checked. I asked to look at the check paperwork. It said it "passed" but it didn't say HPI on the check paperwork like I've seen before. Although being a nissan main dealer I trusted them in this instance as they would be in big trouble lying or faking paperwork like this. If it was a second hand trader and not a main dealer I would probably get an HPI done. Although if it is a cat d or similar they must by law advertise the fact otherwise they are in serious trouble (thats not to say it doesn't happen as it does as highlighted above by HampshireRob - welcome by the way!). Which trader/company was the car being sold at in Halifax that turned out to be a cat d?

it sounds like i've bought that car you looked at. They didnt advertise it as a CAT D and only decided to tell me after i'd been looking at it for a while. Apparently it was due to front bumper damage and is now all sorted. I checked it out and it seemed ok and they also offered me 12 months warranty. I thought it was a good deal so went ahead with it. Looking back it's probably not a good sign that they are not more forthcoming with that information earlier.

As for the HPI check, you are covered by law if you buy from a trade dealer. I did a check on the car as well just in case

Hi Rob, stick a post up in the intro section so we can say Hi. :D

it sounds like i've bought that car you looked at. They didnt advertise it as a CAT D and only decided to tell me after i'd been looking at it for a while. Apparently it was due to front bumper damage and is now all sorted. I checked it out and it seemed ok and they also offered me 12 months warranty. I thought it was a good deal so went ahead with it. Looking back it's probably not a good sign that they are not more forthcoming with that information earlier.

As for the HPI check, you are covered by law if you buy from a trade dealer. I did a check on the car as well just in case

Fien just to let you know a Cat D is the least serious of a write off, it goes D, C, B, A with A being the most extreme. However, to write a zed off in any way even a cat D it would need to have major damage! front bumper damage would no way write a car off! If the garage told you that then they are talking out of their arses!

We get people part exchanging their cars all the time that have been write off's, the value of the cars in part exchange are usually 1/2 what they would normally get!!!! make sure you think things through, consider that the tempting cheap purchase price may not be worth the difficulty in selling it later on, the crap PX price in the future and more importantly not knowing if the repair to get it back on the road was carried out to a high standard! :scare::thumbs: