Exhaust broken

seano16

Hi, I've only had my Zed for 3 months and already the exhaust has gone! It has 20k miles on it and is a 54 plate - is this common?

It has gone at the flange joint between the centre pipe and rear section. I am taking it in to Nissan to see what the damage is - do you think i can get away with just having a new flange joint put on or it will it require a new rear section (or worse, a whole new exhaust!).

Also, does anyone know the cost of a OEM Rear section and whether there are any other alternatives - i dont want to spend silly money on it though!

Many thanks,

Sean

Very common problem, I'm getting a Nismo fitted this weekend as mine has just gone too (albeit did a bit better, a 53 reg with 62k on the clock).

Most use it as an excuse to get a new exhuast, but the most economical thing to do is to get it welded up. A few have done that with good results. Dont involve Nissan unless you have money to throw away!

Also, does anyone know the cost of a OEM Rear section and whether there are any other alternatives - i dont want to spend silly money on it though!

Many thanks,

Sean

A good stock alternative is the Scorpion exhaust; I do this for £360.00 delivered.

From memory, the Nissan exhaust is £505.00 from the dealers, this isn’t confirmed though…

Assess the damage first and then take it from there… :thumbs:

Thanks for all the replies. On further investigation, the two flanges are still together, it has just come apart at the rear pipe from its flange.

Nissan say it will cost £420 to fit a new rear box but that price may escalate if they break the centre piece flange when removing.

Is it risky to get a welder to try and repair or should i go with Nissan?

Stupidly took it down to Kwik Fit where the local cowboys were umming and erring over numbers - final quote from them was 670 from the cat back, though not sure if this would be OEM...

Other option is Milltek where the guy has quoted 890 fitted, but then i'm not too keen to splash out all this money just yet.

What do you think - you're thoughts are very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean

There have been a few 04 plates on here who's exhausts have gone.

You would probably get a aftermarket exhaust cheaper than a oem one and it would sound better.

I have a 04 plate and i am still on the original :scare:

me too, its all about how you treat them :lol:

Thanks for all the replies. On further investigation, the two flanges are still together, it has just come apart at the rear pipe from its flange.

Nissan say it will cost £420 to fit a new rear box but that price may escalate if they break the centre piece flange when removing.

Stupidly took it down to Kwik Fit where the local cowboys were umming and erring over numbers - final quote from them was 670 from the cat back, though not sure if this would be OEM...

Other option is Milltek where the guy has quoted 890 fitted, but then i'm not too keen to splash out all this money just yet.

Thanks,

Sean

As said above, go for a Scorpion from CS, cheaper than a Nissan backbox and stainless so will actually last. Improves the look/sound/flow at the same time aswell.

Thanks,

Sean

As said above, go for a Scorpion from CS, cheaper than a Nissan backbox and stainless so will actually last. Improves the look/sound/flow at the same time aswell.

If you fancy a new exhaust (and who doesnt) then thats the best option. However I still stand by the fact that you can have it welded if you want to save some cash. Dont listen to Nissan, they will just throw parts (and your money!) at it until it works. Wouldnt be supprised if they tell you it needs a whole new system! Welding is easier and cheaper, and if dont properly will be better than OEM no doubt!

Hey, i had the very same problem soon after i got my zed. Got the lads at the local exhaust garage to cut out the flange and weld in a straight piece in its place for £40. Its still fine and sounds ok. Let us know what you decide to do. :)

:thumbs:

Although no excuse for an aftermarket one now :blush: I used mine as an excuse to get Adrians Nismo, cost 10x as much as your repair, but it sounds 10x better in my opinion :yahoo:

Thanks for all the replies! I did exactly what Genghis199 did and took it to Longlife where they cut out the two flanges and replaced it with a stainless steel sleeve welded to the rear section pipe and clamped to the centre pipe. Sounds normal now so hopefully will last.

While i was at Longlife (In Carshalton Beeches) the guy said he would custom make an exhaust from the cat back for £449 fitted. Anyone had any experience with Longlife? His workshop looked like it catered for boy racers so not sure if it is going to be what i want. If/when i buy a new exhaust, i want a good quality system that doesn't scare the neighbours. I don't want my car sounding like a Nova with a wastepaper basket for an exhaust!

Thanks

Sean

Thanks for all the replies! I did exactly what Genghis199 did and took it to Longlife where they cut out the two flanges and replaced it with a stainless steel sleeve welded to the rear section pipe and clamped to the centre pipe. Sounds normal now so hopefully will last.

While i was at Longlife (In Carshalton Beeches) the guy said he would custom make an exhaust from the cat back for £449 fitted. Anyone had any experience with Longlife? His workshop looked like it catered for boy racers so not sure if it is going to be what i want. If/when i buy a new exhaust, i want a good quality system that doesn't scare the neighbours. I don't want my car sounding like a Nova with a wastepaper basket for an exhaust!

Thanks

Sean

Could buy a second hand dc for that price B)

• 2 months later...

Hi Sean,

Did you follow this up with Longlife? I called in there last week and had similar quote for my Z. I've used them twice before (200SX and BMW 330d) and no complaints and would recommend.

Peter