Would this put you off buying a Z?

cfoster

Managed to sell my Boxster S a couple of weeks ago and on the lookout for a 350Z (or f150 truck - sorry!!).

I've got my eye on a 54 plate 350z (uk gt) with 52k on the clock, all looks nice in the pics, nice spec etc etc. Been mailing the guy who has been very helpful with my questions etc etc. Now I dont think he's an 'enthusiast' as such as he wasnt really up with the service schedules etc. This is where I have a query!!

He has sent me a picture of his service book and it says the following in the following order:

9064 - Nissan Main Dealer - P1

18572 - Nissan Main Dealer - P2

31470 - Nissan Main Dealer - P1

40059 - Normal Garage - P1

Mileage has now just 52k and he is aware it needs a service so is willing to adjust price accordingly, however no P3 has ever been undertaken (should be 36k?). Now I've heard that the P2 and P3 are almost identical so would having a service log like this put you off buying the car? If i were to buy it i'd get a service done (P2 or P3) straight away. If it were me I wouldve done the P3 at the 40k mark? I think he bought it from a garage and I reckon that they did a basic P1/oil as they would do with all their stock?

Any thoughts?!

Cheers

Chris

It should of been a P3 at the 40k service. I'd get him to do a P3 before sale and then start again. Its also 3k overdue the service.

It wouldn't put me off but the price would need to reflect at least the cost of a P3 (upto £350 depending where you are in the country) and the fact that its gone over the service schedule.

I imagine if he were to P3 it the money / price would rise up?? Risk on my part I know but lifes full of risks!!!! :teeth:

Get a quote from a main dealer for a P3. try and get a very expensive one, try central london dealers. Get him to knock it off the price and then get it done at an indy :D

Service intervals are: P1, P2, P1, P3, repeat cycle....

A P2 and P3 are the same, only thing to check is what additional service items you may need as well, see below:

Fuel filter: replace every 36,000 miles (maintenance free on 350z)

Antifreeze: Every 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever sooner. (not only protects against freezing, but prevents corrosion of internal engine parts)

Cambelt: NA on 350z

Platinum tipped spark plugs: every 5 years or 54,000 miles.

Manual transmission oil: replace at 54,000 miles.

The 350z uses a viscous coupling type L.S.D. so no need to change the oil

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Not according to West Way Nissan main dealers. I just bought my car from them in Manchester and they did a full service just before I picked it up. It is 3.5 yrs old and has 34k miles on the clock and the service log book reads as follows: p1,p2,p1,p2 (the fourth p2 being the service they just did).

Not according to West Way Nissan main dealers. I just bought my car from them in Manchester and they did a full service just before I picked it up. It is 3.5 yrs old and has 34k miles on the clock and the service log book reads as follows: p1,p2,p1,p2 (the fourth p2 being the service they just did).

as said on your thread, the last P2 should of been a P3.......

Judging by how appalling the main dealer was with me over me getting my spare key the service mistake doesn't surprise me. I'll make sure it is a P3 next time.

Judging by how appalling the main dealer was with me over me getting my spare key the service mistake doesn't surprise me. I'll make sure it is a P3 next time.

I'd take it back and get them to do it..........

The car had only done about a 1000 miles in the last year as it was on their forecourt for a year during the hard times of them trying to sell it. It was ten months since the last service so they serviced it anyway just before I bought it.

If they were local to me I would take it back - they are half way across the country unfortunately.

I've just looked at the service book and in fact it has a P1,P2,P1 (mileage 27k) ,P2 (mileage 34k), P1 (mileage 34.5k).

UPDATE: just read the previous page of my service book and it says the P3 is only done if the car is 4 years old or has done 36k miles (which ever is reached soonest). So that explains it.

Sorry but thats incorrect.

Its 12 months or every 9k, full stop. Even if the car doesn't turn a wheel, the next service in the sequence is needed, they can't just make up their own rules.

If thats their stance, I'd ask for it in writing and then phone Nissan GB. you never know, you may get a free P3 out of it.

Sorry but thats incorrect.

Its 12 months or every 9k, full stop. Even if the car doesn't turn a wheel, the next service in the sequence is needed, they can't just make up their own rules.

If thats their stance, I'd ask for it in writing and then phone Nissan GB. you never know, you may get a free P3 out of it.

Agreed although that's what it says in our service manual. They were a bit stingy though and could have given it to me, with my car only just less than 2k miles from the 36k mark and 6 months from being 4 yrs old. Doesn't surprise me as the customer service there has been useless.