sat nav recommendations

nixy

My Sat Nav is playing up and I'm about to hurl it into the bin (in fact I nearly threw it out of the car window while trying to find my way home in the dark on Saturday).

I'm going to buy a new one and just want a small basic but effective model - europe not needed. Any recommendations? And don't say Navman!

I like the way Tim has his wired into the cubby as well. Although I would need help with that........

I'm sure someone can show you how. Do you have the front ciggy lighter? IIRC the imports dont always have them. Theres always other places to take the 12v feed from, tis quite easy to get at, probably run it from the head unit if all else fails. Not sure of anyone up your area, but someone must be able to help. Or bring it along to the Wales run and we'll do it in a pit stop :thumbs:;)

Personally I would go for TomTom every time.

My girlfriend has a TomTom 520 with data traffic and it does a very good job. Very good at rerouting her when there is traffic.

I've used TomTom on my windows mobile and it does a great job.

Never really liked Garmins which are the main competitor.

My ONLY critism of TomTom is they don't diferitiate between the Swiss Motorways (which are all a 'toll/prepay' road) and the frech toll roads.

Other than that is did a perfect job of getting us from Geneva to Tignes and many journeys locally too.

I like the way Tim has his wired into the cubby as well. Although I would need help with that........

I'm sure someone can show you how. Do you have the front ciggy lighter? IIRC the imports dont always have them. Theres always other places to take the 12v feed from, tis quite easy to get at, probably run it from the head unit if all else fails. Not sure of anyone up your area, but someone must be able to help. Or bring it along to the Wales run and we'll do it in a pit stop :thumbs:;)

Mine has that stupid at the back cigarette lighter thing. I use an extension lead which is a pain. Tim had the same I think? There is a pic of his on here somewhere.

If you need a hand wiring wise nixy i'll be happy to help - i've installed a few audio systems in my time.. I'm sure there'll be a live we can tap from somewhere convenient... I'll have a look in mine as i want to mount my phone in a bracket under that cover and i want to be able to charge it :D so i' gonn have to find a live for that. B)

lomoto - where did you pull your live feed from? Save me hunting round? (and if you know the colours you tapped for live and earth that would be even more helpful!) :p

I've just checked i have a power outlet in the passenger footwell.. Snooper now fitted :yahoo: every days a school day

lomoto - where did you pull your live feed from? Save me hunting round? (and if you know the colours you tapped for live and earth that would be even more helpful!) :p

I've just checked i have a power outlet in the passenger footwell.. Snooper now fitted :yahoo: every days a school day

Easiest place is the connector behind the front power outlet. Disconnect it and tap into the positive and negative plus back in and wolla!!

Sorry i cant remember now , as it was a couple of years ago !..just find an ignition sourced 12v cable and tap into it :thumbs:

Ealry JDMs dont have the front ciggy lighter. Nixys link to Tims thread shows that he took it from the HU connector. That would have been my guess to. Shouldnt be hard to scotch block onto the HU connector and run the feed up behind to the cubby. Plenty of space and the dash is easy to dismantle. Might be a bit much for the layby at Wales run, but shouldnt take longer than a half our to tap in :)