P3 SERVICE...

breay

Guys my cars due its first P3, am i right in thinking it needs Oil, Filter, Diff Oil, Brake Fluid and coolant changing??

Ive done a little bit of homework using the search button but just wanted someone in the know to clarify as Nissan didnt want to tell me when they found out i wasnt having it serviced with them! :rant:

Thanks for the link Magnet only thing is they list plugs and gear box oil in a P3, the one thing Nissan did say was that i definately wouldnt need plugs?

Im getting my workshop to do the labour and ive bought the oils etc from Opie, work have listed what needs doing from their computer but i just wanted to double check. The service printout lists:

1) Oil & Filter

2) Diff Oil

3) Brake Fluid

4) Coolant

No mention of plugs or gearbox oil??

I beleive plugs are 54k miles service, definately not done every P3. Not sure on diff oil either, I dont think thats done. Infact I seem to remember we always have discussions about the difference between P2 and P3 as they are the same bar the diff oil and on ours the diff oil doesnt get changed! So why do we get charged more for a P3 when no extra work is done!?!?

There is a sheet around here somewhere with the points for each service on it. Someone will be along with the link :)

I'd be interested in the answer to this too. :)

Mine had the 54K P3 service from the Nissan dealer before I bought it in Jan and on the service tick sheet I was given there is no mention of the diff oil, gearbox oil and plugs being changed. As far as I can tell the only things they did outside of a normal oil and filter service was to change the brake fluid and the auxillary belts. I was under the impression the 54K service should be more than this though. :headhurt:

It could be that the tick sheet just hasn't been filled in properly. It could also be that as the service was thrown in as part of the car sale they skipped a few bits to save costs. :dry: Might have to give them a bell to see if they can confirm what was done, although I'm not sure I'd believe them anyway as they haven't exactly been a model of competance up to now.

TDI North are just around the corner from work so I might just get them to change the diff and gearbox oil and the plugs to be sure....

EDIT: From checking my service book, this appears to be the first P3 service it has had! For a 5 year old car with 50,000 miles that isn't right is it?! :scare: That seems really odd considering it has FNSH and was supplied by a Nissan dealer.

Right i just spoke to a plank at my local Nissan dealer, he said that i need all filters replacing (air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter) spark plugs (even tho the car has only done 23k) and the obvious oil change.

So i said to him, er ok what about gear box oil? and he said oh yeah all the liquids need changing as well like the coolant and brake fluid but then you would have those changed every service anyway!!!! WHAT A MUPPET! Always comforting to know that the bloody dealers know what they are talking about! :rant:

Im still no closer to the answer!

Can anyone help??

Sorry for the rant guys :lol:

If you have a past service tick sheet, all the bits are one there under the various headings of P1, P2 and P3.

Plugs should not need doing after 23k miles, thats crap! Diff oil I seem to remember is only done on non-visous coupling types, of which ours are a viscous coupling type so it doesnt need doing. Brake fluid is technically every 2 years. What I have learnt is to tell them what needs doing to make sure they do it right!!

If you have a past service tick sheet, all the bits are one there under the various headings of P1, P2 and P3.

Plugs should not need doing after 23k miles, thats crap! Diff oil I seem to remember is only done on non-visous coupling types, of which ours are a viscous coupling type so it doesnt need doing. Brake fluid is technically every 2 years. What I have learnt is to tell them what needs doing to make sure they do it right!!

Nissan were supposed to post me a tick sheet 2 weeks ago but surprise surprise i havnt received one, i have read loads about the fact that plugs dont need changing until you hit quite high mileage so i know thats crap and Nissan even told me the first time i rang them that the plugs defo DIDNT need replacing but 2 weeks later they now do?!

Ive ordered the diff oil now and to be fair my service department do have the diff oil listed on the P3 for my car so i may as well get it done now.

Problem is does the gear box oil need doing also?

Yeah, I saw the P1,P2,P3 stuff on the tick sheet as posted above but it doesn't seem 350Z specific as some of the things on there clearly don't apply to our cars (e.g. Cambelt).

So it's hard to know what they should and shouldn't have done! :wacko: I can say for definite though that not all the boxes in the P3 section have been ticked, e.g. spark plugs.

Right guys thanks to CS ( ;) ) ive had a look at the service checklist and i believe the following is correct:

P1, Engine Oil, Oil Filter.

P2, Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Brake Fluid, Air Filter, PCV Filter, Conventional Spark Plugs, Pollen Filter.

P3, Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Brake Fluid, Air Filter, PCV Filter, Conventional Spark Plugs, Pollen Filter.

Like i say that info has come straight from Nissan so according to them a P2 and P3 are the same! :wacko: only thing to check is what additional service items you may need as well as above see below:

Fuel filter: replace every 36,000 miles (maintenance free on 350z)

Antifreeze: Every 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever sooner. (not only protects against freezing, but prevents corrosion of internal engine parts)

Cambelt: NA on 350z :yahoo:

Platinum tipped spark plugs: every 5 years or 54,000 miles.

Manual transmission oil: replace at 54,000 miles.

The 350z uses a viscous coupling type L.S.D. so no need to change the oil :yahoo:

Service intervals are: P1, P2, P1, P3, repeat cycle....

I thought id post this info up as it may help some of you guys in the future :thumbs:

Ben

• 4 months later...