Brakes for a Trackday

SteveW

Good evening all,

I'm hoping to go on my first trackday at the end of the month and need some new brakes, pads are getting quite low and the rear discs look to be getting a bit thin - still without run out limits on a clock but worn to around 2mm depth.

My question is do I go for standard discs or EBC turbogrooves? Also which pads should I go for? Standard, red stuff or yellow stuff?

I want some pads that will still be good on the work day commute and not cause me any oh @*!# moments can't stop.......

I've seen the good prices CS offers on the EBC pads.

Any info anyone can offer will be very much appreciated.

If it makes any difference Donnington Park is the venue. :D

Steve

Steve, for track day pads I'd go with Ferodo DS2500, they work well on the track and are also suitable for day to day driving... :thumbs:

You can marry these up with the EBC Turbogroove discs, they'll work perfectly together... :thumbs:

EBC Yellowstuff pads can also be used on Track, however, the DS2500 can take more harder braking and punishment... :)

Steve, for track day pads I'd go with Ferodo DS2500, they work well on the track and are also suitable for day to day driving... :thumbs:

You can marry these up with the EBC Turbogroove discs, they'll work perfectly together... :thumbs:

EBC Yellowstuff pads can also be used on Track, however, the DS2500 can take more harder braking and punishment... :)

+1 to the above. I have that exact combo (EBC Turbo grooved and DS2500) and they are very much noticably better than stock. Although I have never tracked my car, the pads can take a serious beating, much more than stock. You wont be dissapointed :thumbs:

Replies on this forum are Like lightening!!! excellent!!

Do the DS2500 still work well when they are cold? I spend most of my time on the day to day commute and obviously don't want any I can't stop moments!!! So a set up which works on track and on the street is what I'm after.

Thank you

Replies on this forum are Like lightening!!! excellent!!

Do the DS2500 still work well when they are cold? I spend most of my time on the day to day commute and obviously don't want any I can't stop moments!!! So a set up which works on track and on the street is what I'm after.

Thank you

Well, you wouldn't possibly be going that fast on the commute would you :p;)

Seriously, I do the same, they are fine even when cold in my experience.

:thumbs:

I'd say that the cold bite isnt the best it could be, maybe a bit worse than stardard pads, but it only takes a few applications to get some heat into them, and tbh its quite hard to notice. Making sure you break them in properly is the main thing to getting good performance from them. :)

I'd say that the cold bite isnt the best it could be, maybe a bit worse than stardard pads, but it only takes a few applications to get some heat into them, and tbh its quite hard to notice. Making sure you break them in properly is the main thing to getting good performance from them. :)

+1

ive tried the yellow stuff and the ferodo's, for daily use they are very similar, maybe slightly more bite from cold in the yellow stuff, and for track use the DS2500's are far better imo assuming your lapping a track and not doing sprints.

Thanks for the information guys very good info.

I've heard of Dixcel stuff but thought it was only available from the US?

Has anyone ever used Carbotechs? My mate has them on his MR2Turbo and swears they are the best brakes he has ever had.

Has anyone ever used Carbotechs? My mate has them on his MR2Turbo and swears they are the best brakes he has ever had.

The Evo chaps use them alot. But if you thought DS2500 squeal a lot, you gotta hear the Carbotechs! Christ, they are never quiet at any speed! :surrender:

Thanks for the information guys very good info.

I've heard of Dixcel stuff but thought it was only available from the US?

Dixcel is available from DMS and they happen to be a site sponsor. Their user name is DixcelBrake. Myself and AdrianK have dixcel setups. I'm certainly very pleased with mine. Hasn't been tracked yet but Dixon (DMS proprietor) reckons they will be even better on the track. :thumbs:

Having discussed this at lenth with BigPhil on the phone before Christmas, I decided to go with Performance Frication pads on DBA disks. Not the cheapest, but very pleased with them so far.

Have not experienced any squeeling from the pads - used to get some from EBC.

While you are at it, some stainless lines are a must